Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A SAffer In Denmark (Part 2)
Many people who grew up in South Africa during the 1970s will remember being taught road safety by Daantjie Kat. Daantjie Kat films were shown in the early days of television and he visited our schools. The main rules of the road that were drummed into us were: “Keep left” and when crossing a road, “Look left, look right, then left again.” These rules were so ingrained into me that as an adult, I hardly had to think about them. Then I moved to Europe. It felt a bit strange the first time I got into the front right seat of a car and there was no steering wheel, but I coped with that. I even managed to quell my discomfort when we swung out onto the road, whilst driving on the right. However, when we drove at full speed anti-clockwise into a traffic circle, I had to close my eyes and grip the door handle for dear life! Little in life has seemed “normal” since then.

My son, who is four years old, recently started attending kindergarten. At kindergarten, the children are encouraged to learn through play. The children spend most of their day playing outdoors. There is very little in the way of formal lessons as in Denmark children only start primary school when they are, on average, six years old. Schooling in Denmark is compulsory for children from seven years old to sixteen years old. They have the option of attending pre-school from the age of five. This is very different from the pre-school my son was attending in England where he was already being taught basic writing and number skills in order for him to commence school at a very young age of four. I am very pleased that my son has been given an extra two years in order to simply enjoy being a child.

A weird phenomenon I’ve discovered is that every few months many Danes migrate to the German border towns like Süderlügum. We have done this twice since I’ve been living here. Why? To stock up on cheap booze, sweets and German meats. These German border towns have huge cash and carry type shops catering to the Danes. Each one virtually bursting at the seams with frenzied Danes, pushing along trolley loads of cheap beer, wine and bratwurst.

In South Africa and Britain, we are used to going to the butcher or supermarket and choosing neat little rump steaks or chump chops for our dinner. In Denmark, when you look into the supermarket fridges, you are confronted by huge hunks of cow or sheep or pig. Most immediately conjure up images of medieval meat feasts, or for SAffers, braais you can really get your teeth into!

I read some statistics a few days ago that Denmark is the third largest consumer of ice-cream in the world. This is not surprising. The ice-cream here is amazing! One of the most popular choices is a waffle cone, filled with three (or four!) scoops of different flavours, topped with vanilla soft serve, a fløde bolle (the English cutie pie chocolate) and stuff called “guf”. “Guf” is rather like semi-liquid gooey bright pink marshmallow. A trip to Denmark would be incomplete without sampling one of these.
I have now been granted residency in Denmark until January 2008. Somehow, the authorities have overlooked my son's application, so he's effectively now an illegal alien. :mad: I'm also angry because my son has had his Danish lessons stopped at his kindergarten. The reason is still unclear. :wall: In the next month I will have to start my Danish intergration classes - 6 hours a day, 3 days a week, for 3 years!!! And I will need to do exams. :yikes: We really have to earn our way to being allowed to live in Denmark. My head is spinning! :dazed:
>>~V~ę~ñ~ů~Ş~<<
Oh Venus.... this is tough!

Will you get blonde hair after the 3 years too Big Grin

You can do it... we will cheer you on all the way! ok:

Sterkte hoor! :hug:

One of the most popular choices is a waffle cone, filled with three (or four!) scoops of different flavours, topped with vanilla soft serve, a fløde bolle (the English cutie pie chocolate) and stuff called “guf”. “Guf” is rather like semi-liquid gooey bright pink marshmallow. A trip to Denmark would be incomplete without sampling one of these.

Now I know why the lady at the ice-cream shop looked at us funny when we only chose one flavour of ice-cream and thank you for the name of that white stuff which was absolutely divine. I need to find out how to make it because ice-cream is not that same unless it has that glorious "guf" on it.

Big Grin
[Image: qubranch_sig.gif]
...in the recent Index of Happiness Survey ( based on affluence/education/health and such trivialities...); most Anglo-Saxon lands fared pretty lousy ( too-great expectations , or : harsh realities ? ).
Cheers!
I started at Danish School on Monday. It was unbelievably tough! :noway: I arrived as an enthusiastic new student with my newly sharpened pencil & note pad, eager to master my new country's tongue. I think I arrived in time for Lesson # 150. My first lesson started with a video of a middle aged man wearing 70's style black rimmed glasses sitting against a black backdrop. In the background a woman's voice was going, in Danish, "Blah blah blah?" & he was answering, "Blah de blah blah blah." And so it continued for about 5 minutes. There were no pictures in the background to give any indication as to what the man was talking about. I didn't have a clue! :dazed: Then the teacher handed out a 7 page comprehension, all in Danish, for us to answer about the video. :help:

Yesterday was better. We went on a field trip to a Manor & Agricultural Museum. I got to thrash, sieve & grind wheat by hand. I then baked bread using the wheat. Then I made butter in a churn. I was so proud of myself! :chef: I also got to comb & spin wool. I don't have any natural talent for this job. :wall:

There are 11 students in my class, each a different nationality ie. USA, Afganistan, Saudi Arabia, Kazakhstan, Ukraine, Russia, Iceland, Poland, Indonesia, Thailand & this South African. I was welcomed with big smiles & immediately made to feel welcome. Each in his/her own language trying to help the others who were all battling as much as I was. The comradeship & spirit of the class is amazing. :jive:
>>~V~ę~ñ~ů~Ş~<<
How exciting, at least you also doing field trips with your lessons....keep us updated......:hug:
How exciting Venus.

I am sure you all will become great buddies at the end as you learn together, laugh at your mistakes, encouraged one another when you get down and frustrated.

You will learn more than you think.... and quicker than you think.

Sterkte!

Quite grand Venus .. I can recall my first Finnish lesson on the Beginner's course .. they gave me the local paper to read to the class as a starter

most wonderful ... now you should find out how long they have learnt English for at school and then wonder in amazement how come their English is so poor if they expect one to learn Danish in the same speed as lifting a toilet seat

Welcome to Scandanavia .. I must like it .. my 2nd country with a 2nd new language

:mmm: must be the Irish blood

Big Grin
Venus Wrote:I started at Danish School on Monday. It was unbelievably tough! :noway: I arrived as an enthusiastic new student with my newly sharpened pencil & note pad, eager to master my new country's tongue. I think I arrived in time for Lesson # 150. My first lesson started with a video of a middle aged man wearing 70's style black rimmed glasses sitting against a black backdrop. In the background a woman's voice was going, in Danish, "Blah blah blah?" & he was answering, "Blah de blah blah blah." And so it continued for about 5 minutes. There were no pictures in the background to give any indication as to what the man was talking about. I didn't have a clue! :dazed: Then the teacher handed out a 7 page comprehension, all in Danish, for us to answer about the video. :help:

Yesterday was better. We went on a field trip to a Manor & Agricultural Museum. I got to thrash, sieve & grind wheat by hand. I then baked bread using the wheat. Then I made butter in a churn. I was so proud of myself! :chef: I also got to comb & spin wool. I don't have any natural talent for this job. :wall:

There are 11 students in my class, each a different nationality ie. USA, Afganistan, Saudi Arabia, Kazakhstan, Ukraine, Russia, Iceland, Poland, Indonesia, Thailand & this South African. I was welcomed with big smiles & immediately made to feel welcome. Each in his/her own language trying to help the others who were all battling as much as I was. The comradeship & spirit of the class is amazing. :jive:

I beginning to think that getting British Citizenship is actually rather easy considering the silly Life in the UK test you have to complete!

Good Luck Venus I'm sure it will be worth it in the end. It's amazing what us ladies do for love :hartlik:
[Image: qubranch_sig.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A SAffer In Denmark (Part 1) Venus 13 8,846 23-05-2006, 10:07 AM
Last Post: nikkinaz