Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A change in direction
One really good thing came out of our trip to France and that was me deciding to get off my ample behind and change my life in regards to what I do for a living. I'm not one to deal with 'my cheese had burnt' or 'there's a bone in my chicken'. I end up banging my head against the desk - not good for my head or the desk.:dazed:

I remember coming home when I was 12 and telling my parents that I want to be an archaeologist. Infact I was insistant - I had found a love of history. My dear father (in his wisdom I suppose) shot this dream down, and continued to do so everytime I brought it up. "How will you live?" "You won't make any money doing that". "You'll get dirty, no-one wants to know a dirty girl". Being the child I was, I believed him and ended up settling for something I was not happy doing:noway: - but it kept him happy. I had also learned to keep my dream quiet. Every now and again it would 'pop' up and remind me. I thought of UNISA but my pay pack was not enough. Thought of Open University when I cam here but they did not do the courses. Again I had to work to live as I could not go full time (or part time) to University. Again the dream was put on hold.

France was the last straw. I realised that my unhappiness did not stem from a country where it rained more that Wales.Wink It was the fact that I had to come back to a job I find a chore and to people who I find difficult. So onto the web I went. Very few places offer archaeology through distance learning. Our local uni offers part time courses but it means having to take a few days off durin the week. I can imagine this palce when I say "off to uni ta-ra". Not gonna happen. Instead I found Exeter University has a course - 3 modules that run concurrent - distance learning - and the price is right. (Come on down!!!) The only down side is they are not accrediated. This means I study, do the work and have nothing to show for it. Except my self esteem.

My question is - is it worth putting my money down, studying and have nothing to show? Or do I do this course - love it and want more? The more I think about it the more I want to do it. Its not practical - unless I can dig in my garden - but the theory. Is it the course for me?
Gwasi

Have you considered this? it seems to be a Diploma course.

http://www.homestudynet.com/archaeology_&_history.htm
[quote=gwasi] I end up banging my head against the desk - not good for my head or the desk.:dazed:
I realised that my unhappiness did not stem from a country where it rained more that Wales.Wink It was the fact that I had to come back to a job I find a chore and to people who I find difficult.
QUOTE]

Here's hoping the correct answers will come to you , sooner rather than later ;
in the meantime , you have my sincerest empathy !
Good Luck !
gwasi Wrote:The more I think about it the more I want to do it.
Sounds like you know the answer already...
Hi Gwasi

Getting paid to do a job you love, that makes you feel complete.. and generally lifts your soul is something that very few people have or even attain.

Go for it!

I'm living my dream as we speak - the hard work pays off in the end - and it gets better and better. The hours and weeks you might feel low and disillusioned pale into insignificance when you find your niche.

Chase that dream - its what they're there for.
G
Have made my decision and have told my fathers voice to keep quiet. Today I enroll at Oxford University Online. They run modules at a reasonable price. Each module gains you credits and eventually a Higher Education Diploma or if you want a degree.

So in a few years (quite a few - money doesn't grow on trees) I shall have my degree or diploma.
Cheffie Wrote:Getting paid to do a job you love, that makes you feel complete.. and generally lifts your soul is something that very few people have or even attain.

Thoroughly agree , ne'er a truer word spoken , or written !
Good Luck with it and : Enjoy !