Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question of Benefits
I plan to move back to SA by October 2004 and recently heard that as I have been in the UK for 3 years by the time I leave I would maintain my benefits..... this sounds a bit fraudulent.... does anyone know if this is true? Sad
To regret past mistakes is to live them over again....... move on and live your life without regret!
Quote:Originally posted by Spacegirl
I plan to move back to SA by October 2004 and recently heard that as I have been in the UK for 3 years by the time I leave I would maintain my benefits..... this sounds a bit fraudulent.... does anyone know if this is true? Sad

Hi SG,

Welcome!

Are you a UK citizen?

I believe Benefits (Income Support do you mean?!) are payable abroad if you go and live in EU countries... whether that includes SA I don't know.

I don't suppose that helps a lot then...(!) But, certainly you can get it paid in EU countries.

TP
Thanks for the reply, I will do some research online, I am an Irish Citizen. It seemed so silly when I heard it, but I think there is something that I keep? lol Not that I am counting on it, and nope the only benefits I receive are for my kids..... Smile
To regret past mistakes is to live them over again....... move on and live your life without regret!
I don't know if you've seen this website ... you could clarify the situation here.

I see no problem in your children getting the money that's due to them. If thats what the rule states, then lucky you. Life in SA is tough enough, so why not?

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/birth/benefits_a...nefit.html
Quote:Originally posted by Spacegirl

Hi Spacegirl,

As far as I am aware if you leave the UK to reside abroad you lose all state benefits, that includes child allowance and national health cover etc ............

......... I think provision for any accumulate pension is taken care of when you retire - you can have your allowance put into a UK bank account then and have it transferred etc - but I would not bet on it being around by then at the rate they are going here Sad

Whats with the move back to SA now, I thought you'd had your time there and wanted to move on, including to the US etc? Whatever you choose, all the best.

BH
Thanks again all........ as it turns out, I just received my child benefit form to fill out (anual notice I suspect) and went to the website, as the boys and I plan to leave permanently it is NOT claimable..... but the NI stuff is valid.... I think I confused the two.... thanks again! :p
Quote:Originally posted by Clarkie
....SO AM I...except the girls and I are leaving end April and so looking forward to it. Sad to leave the benefits but glad I'm going back to my mountains....Stellenbosch, here we come!

Ohhh **cry**cry** ............ Sad

Sorry to see you go girls, but I hope that the move brings you everything you've been missing from your lives. I do hope that you'll keep in touch with us here - the "www" even works in SA I hear Big Grin

Happy planning luvvies, please keep us informed of your progress and when you plan on treating us to the farewell bashes Big Grin

BH

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What benefits am I entitled to in the UK with children mcamp999 3 7,430 28-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Helaina
  Next New Baby Question Bean of Love 33 15,604 29-09-2004, 06:28 AM
Last Post: Ameniatha
  having a baby and benefits? Spacegirl 2 3,676 21-02-2004, 09:52 AM
Last Post: Cali