Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I just old fashioned?
After most of the delegates left a few of us went to the Hydro. The Hydo is quite a big hotel/motel kind of place, with different halls, restaurants a gym, swimming pool and a more informal restaurant that is on the beachfront. Quite a pleasant place to hang out.

We arrived around 9.20pm and it was karaoke time. The woman who presented the karaoke brought her daughters along. They were between 4 and 10 years old (we thought).

The sad thing was that she let them sing the adult songs. Songs like 'I'm just a love machine' another talked about 'my pretty negilee'.

In my old fashion opinion girls at that age should still sing "Ring a ring a rosies" and not suggestive grown-up song that time of the night.... they should be in bed.

What do you think?

I agree with you, Pronkertjie. Children have such a short time to be children, and sometimes I suspect parents think it is cute to see little children acting in an adult manner way ahead of their time.

What an irony... when you're a child, all you want to do is be an adult and to do what they do, and when you're an adult, you finally understand how fleeting that time is....
Sad
It is so true Dudette...

The girls were dressed for the occassion.... party frocks, make up and two of them had their hair pinned up too. The were very comfortable with their role as they took turns to sing..... it was obvious they have done that many times before.

Pronkertjie Wrote:
lIn my old fashion opinion girls at that age should still sing "Ring a ring a rosies" and not suggestive grown-up song that time of the night.... they should be in bed.

What do you think?

I do not think your opinion is old fashioned at all, just one of high morals... and that is seen as old fashioned I do not want to think what people will think of "old fashioned" in ten years' time

:beg:
I don't think you're being old fashioned, Pronks. But it's very hard for a parent today with the kind of songs being played on the radio & tv etc. I try to "edit" what Danny hears/sees but children, like adults, take a liking to a catchy tune. I was horrified to hear Danny singing one of Eminems songs the other day. It's a fun sounding song until you listen to all the lyrics! :eek:
>>~V~ę~ñ~ů~Ş~<<
Hi Pronks

My first time on this forum Smile

I personally do not believe it is anything to do with being old fashioned. It's plain, good old common sense.

At 9.20pm, a Hotel/Hydro Karaoke evening is no place for a young child to be.
A child should be tucked up warm in bed. There is 'child' time and 'adult' time and it would appear that for this family, the two are becoming blurred, irrespective of the types of songs sang.

I am watching a series on SKY TV called 'Who rules the Roost' You would not believe what small children are allowed to do by their parents and then the parents wonder why they have lost control?

So no, you were not wrong in thinking what you did.... Smile

Pronkertjie Wrote:After most of the delegates left a few of us went to the Hydro. The Hydo is quite a big hotel/motel kind of place, with different halls, restaurants a gym, swimming pool and a more informal restaurant that is on the beachfront. Quite a pleasant place to hang out.

We arrived around 9.20pm and it was karaoke time. The woman who presented the karaoke brought her daughters along. They were between 4 and 10 years old (we thought).

The sad thing was that she let them sing the adult songs. Songs like 'I'm just a love machine' another talked about 'my pretty negilee'.

In my old fashion opinion girls at that age should still sing "Ring a ring a rosies" and not suggestive grown-up song that time of the night.... they should be in bed.

What do you think?

I have only just seen this...it's beyond me that a 10 year old should wear up..my daughter is 15...she reacts when young girls wear make up
Personally I think it was very irresponsible of this mother to expose her kids at such a young age to this.
Pronks, you get professional karaoke mothers, they take their daughters to any and every karaoke in the hope that they might get discovered.
mcamp999 Wrote:Pronks, you get professional karaoke mothers, they take their daughters to any and every karaoke in the hope that they might get discovered.

Even when they are 8 - 10 years old? Wow!