Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Americanised school prayer.....makes on think....
Jangar Wrote:Just my :2cents: worth...

Being irreligious I agree with the decison of the American schools not to force "The Lord's Prayer" on everyone as I don't believe for one second that you can force anyone to believe something (by legal means that is...)

Forcing kids to listen to only "The Lord's Prayer" is a kind of brainwashing as they don't get to hear Buddah's and 'whatever other religions' primary prayers...

That was 1 cents worth, here is the other cents worth...

No-one should be able to dictate when or where someone someone wishes to pray or show respect as long as it respects people nearby... (e.g. falling to your knees facing east or shouting out "The Lord's Prayer" at the top of your voice in the middle of an exam...)

Just my :2cents: worth Smile

But those who do want to pray should not be banned from doing so. Smile
>>~V~ę~ñ~ů~Ş~<<
Joan Wrote:Jangar...........it is not based on the Lord's prayer.....

This is the Lord's prayer:

Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation. But deliver us from evil. Amen

The other is based on an old childens prayer:
Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take.

child's bedtime prayer - 18th century

No where does this little "prayer" I posted critizise any other religion......... not what you or Bushbaby may feel or think, but why can't people like Oom Rob and myself not express our feelings freely?

:2cents:

Why do us Christians always get shot down?

Joan (John 15 v18-19)

" If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as it's own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you".

PRAISE GOD!!!!!!!
Let the insults roll.........
Bushbaby Wrote:And yet is'nt this what the Lord predicted would happen in the last days?

BB

I love it....it's all there in black and white...if we read our Bible and believe it to be the Word of God...why are we always suprised when prophecy is fulfilled? :read:
ForumAdmin Wrote:Hi ALL

please remember that this thread is in the Christian Faith Praise and is not in the open Religious Forum.

Do note: This sub-forum is for the Praise of the Christian faith and is not an area to challenge the faith. Praise is the keyword.

Maybe this thread would be better served in the open forum

Just a reminder

Thank you

ForumAdmin

Point taken Smile

(Though I was being general or thought I was Big Grin )
Bushbaby Wrote:Hi Joan,

...I respect all religions as they inevitably encourage their follower to lead virtuous lives. ... I do believe that freedom of expression works both ways. If those of a secular bent choose not to believe, fine, but in doing so they should not inhibit the practises of those who do (of whatever faith). Those who do believe have every right to do so, and observe their practices, provided they do not force them on others who are not receptive to such things.

That is what I was trying to say... I guess it just came out wrong... Smile

With one small change that is...

...they do not try to force them on others...
Just a small correction. The Pledge of Allegiance is still recited in schools and everywhere else in the U.S. There was a lawsuit to have the words "one nation under God" removed. "Under God" was ruled unconstitutional by a lower court and the suit was then taken all the way to the Supreme Court who overturned the lower court decision, so it's left intact.

The Lord's Prayer was removed from schools and many Christian homes removed their children from public schools.
Christian schools are flourishing and so is home-schooling. Stats show that when these kids take their university entrance exams they score much higher than the national average.
Toktokkie Wrote:Just a small correction. The Pledge of Allegiance is still recited in schools and everywhere else in the U.S. There was a lawsuit to have the words "one nation under God" removed. "Under God" was ruled unconstitutional by a lower court and the suit was then taken all the way to the Supreme Court who overturned the lower court decision, so it's left intact.

The Lord's Prayer was removed from schools and many Christian homes removed their children from public schools.
Christian schools are flourishing and so is home-schooling. Stats show that when these kids take their university entrance exams they score much higher than the national average.
Thanks for the info Toktokkie. It is heartening to read that Christian schools flourish in the US!

Also very pleased to read a posting from you again!

:thumbs:
Thank you Joan. Good to make contact again.

Yes it is good to see the growth in Christian Schools. Even the home-schoolers are active in their local groups and are involved in activities and get-togethers. Many of these groups are formed within denominations and they play sports against one another, so there is a lot of interaction between these children.
My closest two neighbors have home schooled their children and so I have had quite a bit of contact with their group activities. I find these children to be basically happy kids. They are better behaved, more polite and respectful than children from public schools.

Only problem is that all the taxes collected from us for schools only goes to public schools. The state government also provides educational funding only for public school children. We are trying to get this changed but the public school system is fighting it all the way for obvious reasons.

As it stands right now, all children other than home-schooled and those attending Christian schools have no choice but to attend the public school in their areas.

I think it would be good for public schools to have some competition. Perhaps they'll take a closer look at why Christian schools are working and turning out better educated children and make the necessary changes to provide better education. It would also give parents a choice since all will be able to afford to give their children the education they feel is best for them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On the wings of prayer. Oom Rob 3 2,939 29-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Pronkertjie