Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Alternative Cause of Obesity
Found this online, what do you think?

Positive Energy:
The Missing Piece to Overeating and Why Diets Fail

(Excerpted from Positive Energy: Ten Extraordinary Prescriptions for Transforming Fatigue, Stress, and Fear Into Vibrance, Strength, and Love by Judith Orloff, MD. Harmony Books, April, 2004)

As a psychiatrist and intuitive, I know that there is more to overeating and obesity that meets the eye. One big reason that many diets fail is that traditional weight loss programs donÂ’t factor in how we process subtle energy, what Chinese medicine terms life force or chi. Subtle energy penetrates and surround the body. Sensitive people who I call intuitive empaths unknowingly overeat in response to being overwhelmed by negative vibes. Empaths not only can sense energy around them, they absorb it into their bodies. If this is you, Positive Energy will teach you to center and protect yourself when the impulse to overeat hits.

HereÂ’s the energetic premise of obesity: When empaths are thin they have less padding, are more vulnerable to soaking up negative vibes. For instance, early twentieth century faith healers were renowned for being grossly obese to avoid absorbing their patientÂ’s symptoms-a common trap IÂ’ve seen modern-day healers also unconsciously fall into; food is a convenient grounding device. Similarly, many of my patients pack on pounds to protect against overwhelming vibes, massive or minute. Energy is at the root of an empathÂ’s hunger. Whether your sensitivity to negative vibes is minimal or intense, for a diet to succeed itÂ’s important to develop alternative coping strategies other than overeating. In my book I will show you how to cope with negative vibes without abusing food. Whether accosted by an angry colleague or global threat, apply them immediately. Stick to those that work best for you.

8 Emergency Intervention to Halt Energetic Eating

When the impulse to overeat hits:

Identify an Addictive Craving from a True Need
Addictive craving, a symptom of nutritional abuse, is a frequent response to energetic overload. Bottomline, you eat certain foods like a drug addict; this leads to obesity. Cravings feel intense: whenever you keep lusting after sweets and carbs especially, be suspicious. (IÂ’ve yet to see someone binge on brussel sprouts!) For instance, chocolate turns from simple pleasure to crutch when you gorge on it, use it to self-medicate stress, or to get a sugar high--also if you experience mood-swings, sugar hang-overs, canÂ’t control your intake, or it makes you sick. With cravings, you eat to relieve stress, not to build energy. Try to identify addictive foods, and limit them.

A true nutritional need lacks such sturm and drang: thereÂ’s no lusting or lunging for food to guard against negative energies. A true need comes from a centered place, has nothing to do with soothing our emotions (comfort foods) or obsession.. Feeling healthily nurtured from food never involves moodswings--sedation or elation--rather an even feeling of satisfaction. A true need lets you enjoy your meal, optimizes energy, and doesnÂ’t lead to obesity.
Quickly pinpoint energetic stressors that trigger addictive cravings.
Immediately ask yourself: Have I been exposed to bad vibes? A loud- mouth neighbor. An ordeal to pass through airport security. A siege of overbearing phone messages from your mother. Don’t write off the “smaller” incidents which notoriously send empaths motoring to the refrigerator. Avoid panic. Methodically pinpoint cause and effect. You don’t have to be victimized by negative energy. The trick is to clear it as soon as possible once you’ve been slimed.
Breathe Negative Vibes Out of Your System.
Take a five minute break for damage control. Slowly inhale and exhale. As youÂ’ve learned, breath activates positive energy; it also releases negative vibes. Notice if they get stuck in a specific part of your body. For instance, negative vibes go straight to my gut; I feel irradiated by a toxic stun gun. Identify your vulnerable points. Then practice this visualization: Just as your lungs take in oxygen and expel toxic carbon dioxide, youÂ’re going to breathe in light and clarity, breathe out stress. Breathe in vitality. Breathe out fear.
I also visualize negative vibes exiting through the spaces between the vertebrae in my lower back. You can try this too. Breathing out toxic vibes is a proactive cleansing process. YouÂ’re in charge of the flow. Allow well-being to permeate every inch of you. Repeat this exercise until youÂ’re free of negative residue.
Pray to Release the Addictive Craving
If youÂ’re gripped by a craving, go into praying-mode. For a few quiet moments breath slowly. Bring your awareness to your heart, and aim for self-compassion. The craving may feel impossible to handle, but thatÂ’s okay. In this calm state ask your higher power lift it from you. No mental nudging needed. If you surrender your ego-involvement, this simple heartfelt request works like a charm. What youÂ’re doing is calling on a cosmically influential positive energy to supplant a material-world negative drive.
Take a bath or shower
A speedy way to dissolve negative vibes is to immerse yourself in water. My tub is my refuge after a busy day: it washes away everything from bus exhaust to long hours of air travel, to personal unpleasantness. While you relax water works on you. It has alchemical cleansing properties which will purify your physical body and energy field.
Burn sage
Just because vibes are invisible doesnÂ’t mean you donÂ’t eat over them. Try burning sage to counteract negative energy someone deposits in your office or home--a strategy that has kept pounds off my patients with a lot of people-contact in their space. Vibes accumulate, can cause stress if not eradicated. You may not realize that left-over subtle energies trigger addictive eating patterns, but these vibes subliminally wear at you. Sage has been used by ancients cross-culturally to purify locations. Burn it, and the desire to eat over lurking negative vibes will wane.
Visualize a Protective Shield Around You
Visualize white light surrounding every inch of you from head to toe so that negative energy cannot penetrate this shield and deplete your energy.
Eat with Attunement
Develop a diet that satisfies your energetic needs. IÂ’d like energy to motivate why you eat, more important than taste or any dietary dogma--a priority to impart to children. Whatever you put in you mouth, run by your energy meter; see what truly nourishes or depletes. Even foods youÂ’ve shunned become more attractive when your experience their energy lift.
Food is no place to be passive. The interventions offered in Positive Energy will allow you to an active stance in eating healthily. You donÂ’t have to let poisonous energy lodge itself in you. To stay on top of your eating, do a daily check-in. Stay alert for cravings prompted by negative vibes. Watch your responses. I promise, your eating habits will change.

Judith Orloff MD is a board certified psychiatrist, a practicing intuitive, and author of Positive Energy: Ten Extraordinary Prescriptions for Transforming Fatigue, Stress, and Fear Into Vibrance, Strength, and Love (Harmony Books.) She is also author of the bestsellers Guide to Intuitive Healing and Second Sight. She's an assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at UCLA, has a private practice in Los Angeles, and is an international workshop leader on the interrelationship of medicine, intuition, and spirituality. Her work has been featured on CNN, PBS, A@E and NPR. Dr. Orloff's website is http://www.drjudithorloff.com.
sjoe - i didnt read it all BB but i agree that 'we are what we eat' - see our thread on this and join in aswell Smile we are on the same topic more or less
I did read it all, BB and while I agree it may have some truth to it, I don't think it'll get much credit from the more "conventional" thinkers. Sad
This world is very real and itÂ’s the only life we will ever have. What
we do here matters and its up to us to make it a better place. Do what
you can to reduce pain, misery, and suffering, and to promote
happiness, contentment, and pleasure in this life for yourself and those around
you. Find your spiritual inspiration from the natural world, from the
trees and flowers around you, and from the clouds and stars in the sky
above us. Probably those of us alive today will never know all the
answers, but if the human race is lucky, some day some one will and they
will depend on our contributions here, today to get there. I like to think
they will look back in thanks for what we have preserved and
accomplished for them.
Quote:Originally posted by jewels
sjoe - i didnt read it all BB but i agree that 'we are what we eat' - see our thread on this and join in aswell Smile we are on the same topic more or less

I think you've missed the point of the article. Smile
This world is very real and itÂ’s the only life we will ever have. What
we do here matters and its up to us to make it a better place. Do what
you can to reduce pain, misery, and suffering, and to promote
happiness, contentment, and pleasure in this life for yourself and those around
you. Find your spiritual inspiration from the natural world, from the
trees and flowers around you, and from the clouds and stars in the sky
above us. Probably those of us alive today will never know all the
answers, but if the human race is lucky, some day some one will and they
will depend on our contributions here, today to get there. I like to think
they will look back in thanks for what we have preserved and
accomplished for them.
Quote:Originally posted by Mgv
I think you've missed the point of the article. Smile

Smile nope i got it - i was merely inviting to the other thread were we discuss all reasons for weight gain and which factors we all think are important, tangible and intangible