Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atkins diet
I see the those who advocated this diet in escpecially the US of A are now warning that the fat content of this diet may be far too high and that this diet poses serious health threats.
Although the original author has passed away, this thriving "business" is very worried about claims regarding the suffering of ill health after following this diet.
Quote:Originally posted by Joan
I see the those who advocated this diet in escpecially the US of A are now warning that the fat content of this diet may be far too high and that this diet poses serious health threats.
Although the original author has passed away, this thriving "business" is very worried about claims regarding the suffering of ill health after following this diet.

I have heard that longterm effects may include kidney problems...
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
NYT: Atkins Advises Dieters to Eat Smaller Steaks
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Promoters of the popular low-carbohydrate, high-fat Adkins diet are saying that people should limit their intake of saturated fat by cutting back on Atkins staples such as meat, cheese and butter, The New York Times reported on Sunday.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml...ID=4154451
I agree with you Dem.

I tried the Atkins diet and it made me feel terrible. My stomach was cramoing etc. I do not think it is a very healthy diet at all and I wouldn't advise anyone to go on it.

Like you said Dem....healthy eating and excersise
Moenie kwaad gaan slaap nie, bly wakker en baklei

Bird of prey

What you are isn't written down in stone

Lover of all things RED especially wine

''aai aai die witborskraai''
I am the exact opposite to Birdie - I loved my time on the Atkins diet. I did not lose much after my first month, but kept off what I had lost, and had so much energy, and generally felt so much better in myself. The cost was what got me eventually, with meat costing so much more than veggies, I found it difficult to sustain after a while (basically once I got too lazy to bargain hunt...). I took up swimming during my time on the Atkins diet, something that I have stuck with.

The Atkins diet is not a crash diet, and for people considering doing it, I suggest you read the ENTIRE book before starting out. Too many people only follow the bits that appeal to them, and that is where you start messing with your health.
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
The cost was what got me eventually, with meat costing so much more than veggies, I found it difficult to sustain after a while (basically once I got too lazy to bargain hunt...).

Gee, and I remember a certain someone disagreeing with me back in the mists of time when I suggested it was too expensive to become a long term solution. Rolleyes

Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
I am the exact opposite to Birdie - I loved my time on the Atkins diet. I did not lose much after my first month, but kept off what I had lost, and had so much energy, and generally felt so much better in myself. The cost was what got me eventually, with meat costing so much more than veggies, I found it difficult to sustain after a while (basically once I got too lazy to bargain hunt...). I took up swimming during my time on the Atkins diet, something that I have stuck with.

The Atkins diet is not a crash diet, and for people considering doing it, I suggest you read the ENTIRE book before starting out. Too many people only follow the bits that appeal to them, and that is where you start messing with your health.

Did you not find the odours that omes with it a bit....:eek:
Moenie kwaad gaan slaap nie, bly wakker en baklei

Bird of prey

What you are isn't written down in stone

Lover of all things RED especially wine

''aai aai die witborskraai''
Quote:Originally posted by Mgv
Gee, and I remember a certain someone disagreeing with me back in the mists of time when I suggested it was too expensive to become a long term solution. Rolleyes

Big Grin
And I recall a time when people became quite annoyed when I warned them about the possibility of kidney damage, high cholesterol levels, blah , blah, blah..... Rolleyes Rolleyes
I also had my reservations, however if the plan is followed through properly, the risk of problems is minimal. As to it being too high in fat and cholestorol, I fail to see how it can be any worse than all the junk food we eat. Where the danger of Aitkins lies is in personal discipline. What is happening is people are getting good results on phase one of the program that they continue it way past the intended time limit. Then the problems start to appear. The first phase is a low carb high protein, not necessarily fat diet, and is only a short term "shock" to the system. Thereafter if followed properly should not cause problems unless you are already prone to such. A major contributor to liver and kidney failure is obesity...now if body mass is reduced.....are you not relieving some of the stress on the system
SPAM in a can....Now available in regular, turkey, Lite and HOT
Quote:Originally posted by Joan
And I recall a time when people became quite annoyed when I warned them about the possibility of kidney damage, high cholesterol levels, blah , blah, blah..... Rolleyes Rolleyes

Joan you were right. There are people here who's doctors had the foresight to give patients heart scans before they started this diet. After months and even a couple of years on this diet there is evidence of blockage in arteries by plaque or calcification which is routinely found in people with heart problems.

The medical profession is also finding that in the absence of weight loss on this diet, not only are the risk factors for cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes increased, but it also promotes the development of these diseases in previously lower risk, non-obese individuals.

Scary new info.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atkins Diet whirlpool 42 17,992 18-05-2004, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Joan
  The Metabolic Typing Diet Bushbaby 0 3,273 19-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Bushbaby
  Atkins was Obese Toktokkie 27 13,311 12-02-2004, 11:48 PM
Last Post: spam
  Atkins Diet Ronnie 0 3,656 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: