Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Atkins was Obese
#1
This latest news on Robert Atkins just out.
Report: Diet Doctor Atkins Was Obese, Suffered Heart Disease, Medical Examiner Report Says.

NEW YORK Feb. 10 — Dr. Robert Atkins, whose popular diet stresses protein-rich meat and cheese over carbohydrates, weighed 258 pounds at his death and had a history of heart disease, a newspaper reported Tuesday.
Atkins died last April at age 72 after being injured in a fall on an icy street.

Before his death, he had suffered a heart attack, congestive heart failure and hypertension, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing a report by the city medical examiner.

At 258 pounds, the 6-foot-tall Atkins would have qualified as obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's body-mass index calculator.

Diet is one potential factor in heart disease, but infections also can contribute to it.

Stuart Trager, chairman of the Atkins Physicians Council in New York, told the Journal that Atkins' heart disease stemmed from cardiomyopathy, a condition thought to result from a viral infection.

Atkins' weight was due to bloating associated with his condition, and he had been much slimmer during most of his life, Trager said.

The medical examiner's report was given to the Journal by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, a group that advocates vegetarianism. The medical examiner's office told the Journal that the report had been sent to the group in error.

There was no immediate response Tuesday to a call seeking additional comment from the medical examiner's office.

The diet guru's widow, Veronica Atkins, was outraged that the report had been made public.

"I have been assured by my husband's physicians that my husband's health problems late in life were completely unrelated to his diet or any diet," she told the Journal.

Last month, Veronica Atkins demanded an apology from Mayor Michael Bloomberg after Bloomberg called her late husband "fat."

In April 2002, Atkins issued a statement saying he was recovering from cardiac arrest related to a heart infection he had suffered from "for a few years." He said it was "in no way related to diet."

The Associated Press
Reply
#2
Yes, yes, we have all seen this propaganda.

They say he was clinically obese and had a heart attack, all from a "leaked" document from the coroners office.

It surprises me not that this bit of information has "come to light" now. The anti's will try anything to get at this man and this diet won't they!

Let's have a bit of credit for own own intelligence, the ability to use it and to differentiate between propaganda and truth.
Reply
#3
Quote:Originally posted by Tara
Yes, yes, we have all seen this propaganda.

They say he was clinically obese and had a heart attack, all from a "leaked" document from the coroners office.

It surprises me not that this bit of information has "come to light" now. The anti's will try anything to get at this man and this diet won't they!

Let's have a bit of credit for own own intelligence, the ability to use it and to differentiate between propaganda and truth.


Intelligence. What and who's intelligence? None are as blind as those who will not see, comes to mind.

Did you read that "The diet guru's widow, Veronica Atkins, was outraged that the report had been made public."

Not "leaked," Tara - MADE PUBLIC!!!!!! There is a difference.

Incidently, Atkin's wife made a statement this morning admitting that her husband had artery blockage.

No wonder the family did not want an autopsy or the records made public. They're protecting the goose that lays the golden egg. Wink
Reply
#4
The news reports over here said it was leaked. Smile

Yet so what even if he did have blocked arteries, that can happen to people who have been thin all their lives and never been on any sort of diet becuawe they didn't need to. Fit and well people die just easily as fat and ill people. Young people die, not just old. People die when they are out jogging to keep fit! And some people who never keep fit and smoke and drink and all sorts of stuff that the scientists and medics say is bad for us, live to be a ripe old age (my dear old mother is one of them, she does the whole caboodle yet is 85 years old). What about them then?

What about all the millions of people who have been on the Atkins diet and are now well and their cholesterol levels are down and they are lean mean machines now?

Don't let one put you off, even if it is true! :haha:
Reply
#5
You never saw a photo of Dr Atkins did you.

Take a look:

http://www.time.com/time/personoftheyear...tkins.html

Looks ok to me.
Reply
#6
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
You never saw a photo of Dr Atkins did you.

Take a look:

http://www.time.com/time/personoftheyear...tkins.html

Looks ok to me.


Precisely, I saw him on TV being interviewed about six months before he died from head injuries after slipping and falling on the pavement. That is most certainly not a clinically obese person. So I rest my case that the whole thing is barmy propaganda and a bunch of lies.
Reply
#7
Quote:Originally posted by Tara
Precisely, I saw him on TV being interviewed about six months before he died from head injuries after slipping and falling on the pavement. That is most certainly not a clinically obese person. So I rest my case that the whole thing is barmy propaganda and a bunch of lies.


Really interesting since we now have a he says she says situation because I also watched him on TV some months before his death and what I did I notice was that he was wearing clothing that hid his body in a manner quite typical of overweight people.

However, according to you the hospital and medical records are lies and fabrications.
Continue on Tara. What comes to mind, is a picture of a piece of boerewors, fizzing and sputtering in it's own grease. Big Grin
Reply
#8
Quote:Originally posted by Toktokkie
Really interesting since we now have a he says she says situation because I also watched him on TV some months before his death and what I did I notice was that he was wearing clothing that hid his body in a manner quite typical of overweight people.

However, according to you the hospital and medical records are lies and fabrications.
Continue on Tara. What comes to mind, is a picture of a piece of boerewors, fizzing and sputtering in it's own grease. Big Grin


He looked more to me like an old geyser who was wearing clothes that are too big for him now that he has lost so much weight! :haha:

The reports over here said that the information came from a leaked coroners report, not from the hospital or medical records.

Still doesn't alter the fact that so many people have been helped by it ( smelly breath and all) and that the medical world have loathed him and the diet since the 70's.

So no I'm not surprised.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm tomato and garlic flavoured wors. Now yer talking kid! Big Grin
Reply
#9
Got to be honest and say that after seeing first hand what effect this diet has had on some of my work colleagues... I'm very thankful that I have never subscribed to any diet.

Hasnt' it now been advised that you shouldn't go on the Atkin's diet without a consultation with your doctor??
In love there are two things - bodies and words.
Reply
#10
Quote:Originally posted by Cali
Got to be honest and say that after seeing first hand what effect this diet has had on some of my work colleagues... I'm very thankful that I have never subscribed to any diet.

Hasn't it now been advised that you shouldn't go on the Atkin's diet without a consultation with your doctor??


What kind of effects have you seen Cali?

I think you'll find that most diets say you should consult your doctor before embarking on one Cali, not just the Atkins diet. IMO it would be very foolhardy if someone did so without speaking to their Doc first and getting blood tests and BP tests and anything else they might need to know and keeping in regular touch with their Doc throughout the course of the diet too.

I just thank goodness that I am a skinny wench who has never had need for a diet! Smile
Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atkins Diet whirlpool 42 8,734 18-05-2004, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Joan
  Atkins diet Joan 62 11,586 28-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Flangalistic
  Atkins Diet Ronnie 0 2,214 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)