Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baby Care Suggestions
Hi...

I have looked into the baby care thing a bit since I found out I am pregnant. Hubby and I have not been able to establish ourselves well enough for me to take more than 6months maternity leave, so I have to go back to work.

Can anyone tell me... how expensive is childcare really and what are the pitfalls I should be looking out for?

Would it be wise to possibly get a young Saffer on a working holiday visa to become an Au Pair?? And if so, what would I have to pay, over and above board and lodging?

THis is possibly a premature question, but I need to start thinking about these little things before it is too late.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Beans
Funny, I had just seen this pamphlet and wanted to post it earlier but hadn't go around to it.

Click onto http://www.surestart.gov.uk for more info on Surestart
and http://www.childcarelink.gov.uk to search for childcare and early education.
I know of a member who has used the option of an au pair with his children, and perhaps he will reply to your idea.
When I have more time later tonight I will post more from the pamphlet for you.
Smile
Bean!!!Congrats girl, I am sooooo chuffed for you Big Grin Big Grin I don't have a clue how much the childcare costs are, having been at home with mine and the people I know are also stay at homes, but getting the Saffer au pair sounds like a brilliant idea, def something I would look into if I was in your situation....
Hi Beanie! Smile The cost of child care differs from area to area. The average cost of a child-minder in my area is £3.00 per hour. I don't think that an au pair is a good option with a small baby as you'd be placing all your trust for the welfare of your child in a complete stranger who has not needed to be trained, registered nor vetted by any official childcare organisation like Ofsted. I wouldn't choose this option for my child. But that's just my personal opinion. Wink
>>~V~ę~ñ~ů~Ş~<<
Quote:Originally posted by Venus
Hi Beanie! Smile The cost of child care differs from area to area. The average cost of a child-minder in my area is £3.00 per hour. I don't think that an au pair is a good option with a small baby as you'd be placing all your trust for the welfare of your child in a complete stranger who has not needed to be trained, registered nor vetted by any official childcare organisation like Ofsted. I wouldn't choose this option for my child. But that's just my personal opinion. Wink

I have to agree with you on this one - in fact it is sugested by most of the agencies that an Au pair is not given sole responsibility of a very young baby.

Child care tends to be betwwen £3-00 and £4-00 an hour though some child minders do charge less.

There are pitfalls with any child care arrangement but I think the most important is that you feel comfortable with the people looking after your child and the quality of care they can offer. A child minder may offer a more homely environment but a nursery may offer more structure and be more reliable.

Good luck with your quest. Smile
Thanx for all the advice and wishes. I will look into this a bit more carefully!
Beans
Aw, Beanie, you're making me all broody! Sad
>>~V~ę~ñ~ů~Ş~<<
If you have accomodation space, an au-pair is the way to go.
Typical "pay" is around £70 a week.
Weekends and evenings are free. Baby sitting on a weekend is extra.
They can also be expected to do light household duties such as vacuuming and cooking of light meals.
We paid for ours to attend English as a foreign language at college.
I would strongly forget getting a Saffer and go for a East European. A saffer will not work at the level required for the money paid.
SPAM in a can....Now available in regular, turkey, Lite and HOT
Spam...

Now where on earth do you get an East European?
Beans
Quote:Originally posted by Bean of Love
Spam...

Now where on earth do you get an East European?

Simple, just tawl the internet, there are many agancies that have East Europeans. We have had a Slovak girl for 2 years and she has been fantastic....she now wants to return home and we will look for another. Unlike many, the East Europeans are not shy of work and are not as "liberated" as Western or antipodean girls and are far less likely to take up the clubbing /party routines.
SPAM in a can....Now available in regular, turkey, Lite and HOT

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Baby Amber has arrived SpankyJax 24 12,440 11-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Last Post: TheDuck
  Your opinion about care for baby Bean of Love 9 5,559 29-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Last Post: angelbabe
  Flying with a baby Bean of Love 4 4,199 17-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Last Post: sooibrand
  Registering A New Born Baby Bean of Love 2 4,531 28-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Last Post: mcamp999
  Next New Baby Question Bean of Love 33 15,923 29-09-2004, 06:28 AM