Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bafana defender excited to face Brazil
Bafana Bafana defender Thabo Nthete says he can’t wait for the much-anticipated clash against five-time world champions Brazil next month.

South Africa will tackle the 2014 FIFA World Cup hosts on Wednesday, 5 March at FNB Stadium in Nasrec, near Soweto, in a match themed “Celebrating 20 Years of Freedom”.

Nthete missed the reciprocal clash in Sao Paolo in 2012, where a gallant Bafana Bafana narrowly lost 1-0.

“It is every player’s dream to play against the best and I guess I am no different. I have not played against Brazil and given a chance on the day, I will certainly do my best.

“I watched them against Bafana Bafana in the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup and in Sao Paolo two years ago and it has been my wish to play against them.

“If I am selected, it will be like a dream come true, more so coming at the back of having faced World and European champions Spain.

“I am really looking forward to this match,” said the former Bloemfontein Celtic captain, who recently made a move to Mamelodi Sundowns.

Nthete, who has been capped 19 times for Bafana, is expecting a blockbuster of a match, similar to the one against Spain.

“It is going to be a tough day but that is what every player savours - playing against the best in the business.

“They are an all-round team, very strong in defence and a sleek strike-force; so it calls for us to work as a team and be at our best,” he said.

The hard tackling defender said the match would be the sternest test for most of the players, especially after the shock win against La Roja (Spain).

“I don’t think we will disappoint our local fans on the night, as I believe coach (Gordon Igesund) has selected a very competitive squad that can hold its own against many teams.

“I have confidence that we will do well. We just hope our fans will come in full force to support us in this match,” he said.

Tickets for the match are going for R50 for the top tier; R200 for the middle tier and R100 for the bottom tier.

They can be purchased at Computicket, Shoprite, Checkers and Shoprite/Checkers stores countrywide. - SAnews.gov.za

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bafana needs to win remaining WC qualifiers Newsroom 0 3,717 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Bafana 2014 World Cup dream revived Newsroom 0 4,461 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Media flock to SA for Bafana/Spain match Newsroom 0 3,364 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Win over Mozambique boosts Bafana morale Newsroom 0 4,263 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Brazil to arrive next week for Bafana clash Newsroom 0 4,200 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  SA wishes Brazil a successful World Cup Newsroom 0 7,353 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Mashaba named as new Bafana coach Newsroom 0 7,355 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Disappointing Afcon loss for Bafana Bafana Newsroom 0 6,802 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Bafana Bafana booted out of Afcon Newsroom 0 7,469 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: