Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blank canvas
Seeing as though there are so many gardening experts I present you my garden as a blank canvas to work on. Smile

Seriously we have a garden that has just been laid to grass that I would love to turn into a real garden but I am an absolute novice. What plants would you suggest as the basis of a good garden?
wonderful to have a blank canvas.. need lots of compost first!

I'd start with trees and shrubs... hardy shrubs that flower at different times, giving colour throughout the year (or nearly the whole year) - depends what suits your soil and climate - but start with things that don't demand much maintenance but are attractive. The local nursery will givegood advice, though be sure to ask how BIG the shrubs will grow!

Then fill in - how much work do you want to put in? Smile

Hope it works out well, a garden can be so rewarding.. one tip is to always keep the lawn looking good with the edges well-trimmed, then the overall look will be good.
Get yourself a book on forest gardening - available through Amazon or the HDRA. This will help you establish your garden from the soil up. It has a double benefit in that everything you plant will be edible in one way or another - so you have aesthetic and gastronomic appeal in one.
Hi Jem

We're in the same boat as you. Just moved in to a new house where the gardens are all laid to lawn with the exception of one or two shrubs and firs that look like they were just plonked in any old how.

I worship at the workbench of Mr Alan Titchmarsh and am currently reading How To Be A Gardener, book 2, which is turning out to be as rewarding as the first book.

Having done this before I have one major piece of advise. Don't go rushing off to the garden centre without knowing what you want first. As has been said here before maak 'n plan before you even start.

I know it all sounds very complicated at first, but plants really only need three things to be a success, light water and food. Deliver all three and you are 90% of the way there.

The garden planning starts this weekend, I'm going to post regular updates on my personal website once I get going, a bit like The Pheonix did with the pond, once I get going I'll post the URL.

The main thing is don't be daunted. This is not work ITS FUN!!!!!!!:daisy:
Thanks for the encouragement peeps Smile

Pombok i think I shall be having frequent peeps at your website once you have got it up and running.