Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books, videos, and old times for kids!!!
You know thinking about this topic...i can go on and on and on....and wax lyrical about the fantastic books i had as a child which i lapped up...i loved reading and still do read a great deal.....

I know for a fact alot of my knowledge had come from reading alot....whether it be history, geographical settings....it worked for me during school and still does....

I want my child to read like i do, but being a boy he is lazy and not really interested unless it is the beano or the dandy.....:laugh: i guess i cannot make him read....but he gets thinking when he asks me..."Mom, how do u know so much?" Then i reply "Because i read alot and i listened to my Mom"...just applying a little reverse pyshology....:haha:

What i am trying to get to is i am trying to get him interested in the old books i used to read, the secret seven, the famous five, which i bought a few for him but he has said they are boring.....

There are loads of lovely new books on the market...Ottakars and Waterstones etc are filled to the brim with lots of new authors and kids books.....

He has a penchant for the "Captain Underpants Series" which i think is good for him, it gets him laughing and u can see he is enjoying it rather than trying to understand and concentrate on Harry Potter for eg.....He also likes the "Horrid Henry and the nits" series.....i think it is just a boy thing for enjoying such funny stuff like toilet humour etc.....whereas girls would enjoy the princess style books etc.....Wink

Also trying to get him see old style movies like bedknobs and broomsticks, the sound of music, he actually watched Grease with me the other day and he thoroughly enjoyed it....as the present lifestyle is all about PS 2 and the pc.....but i will get him to see them and i know he will enjoy it.....

Last yr i took him to see Voulez Vous, a tribute band for Abba...he was disgusted that we even deigned to take him...but i tell you he thoroughly enjoyed it...because they had strobe lighting, lasers..etc.....and he even sang to some of the songs.....he even got us to hire the Rocky Horror Picture Show and he watched it three times and replayed our CD in the car for weeks...until i changed it.....Wink

Times are changing for our kids, but hopefully we can keep a few things on the old side and get them to enjoy what we enjoyed as youngsters......and am still enjoying.....Wink
i hope he keeps to his reading
what with the times now being computer aged - with computer games and the net - it is sad that such few children read from books and get outdoor activity
hope all goes well
Icecub, I am very fortunate that my daughter loves reading and I introduced to the Famous Five books and audio tapes she absolute adores them now. I even managed to get her the Famous Five pc game, yes its a pc game but atleast there is no violence involved just good old detective work.

She also loves the Horrid Henry books. I think in this day and age its has to be bit of both, Modern Day authors as well as the classic's that we grew up with.
Quote:Originally posted by lols
Icecub, I am very fortunate that my daughter loves reading and I introduced to the Famous Five books and audio tapes she absolute adores them now. I even managed to get her the Famous Five pc game, yes its a pc game but atleast there is no violence involved just good old detective work.

She also loves the Horrid Henry books. I think in this day and age its has to be bit of both, Modern Day authors as well as the classic's that we grew up with.

hi there....

maybe i should get the pc game and check out the audio ones...u have given me an idea...if he will sit still for long enough to play PS2 he should be able to sit still for an audio tape....:laugh: :laugh:
Icecub....how old is your son?

My son who is 11 loves reading......but it is true, boys tend to be lazier than girls and dont enjoy reading.

David enjoy the Harry Potter books but also Darren Shan......they are slightly scary but are aimed at children from the ages of about 10-15.

I am absolutely lost if I havnt got a book on the go and I think David has picked this up from us......my 2 daughters are both the same, avid readers!
Quote:Originally posted by suep
Icecub....how old is your son?

My son who is 11 loves reading......but it is true, boys tend to be lazier than girls and dont enjoy reading.

David enjoy the Harry Potter books but also Darren Shan......they are slightly scary but are aimed at children from the ages of about 10-15.

I am absolutely lost if I havnt got a book on the go and I think David has picked this up from us......my 2 daughters are both the same, avid readers!

he is 11 this weekend.....but i think it will get there...when he does read he really gets engrossed in it.....i am not battling with him....just wanted to post the above as more like a scenario we go thru at times...trying to keep the old times in breast with the modern..if u get my drift...Wink
My girls are 7 and are real avid readers. One of them even asked Santa for the set of books titled "A Series of Unfortunate Events" and has already finished 2 of them. I also got them a set of Roald Dahl books (which they have gotten stuck into) as well as a set of Famous 5 that they have not yet started. They tried Harry Potter, but did not enjoy them as much as they loved the movies. As a result of reading, their vocabulary is very good, and I hope they continue with their passion for books - it can only do them good.

WRT to computers, they mostly have educational games, and their best is "Eyewitness Encyclopedia of Nature". I love it that they enjoy this sort of thing so much. They also play Spider (my fave card game) on their computer. They do have Gameboys, though, and they love them, but hardly ever play with them, which is a bit of a waste, but they do loads of things, and have a nice varied lifestyle. So I love it!!!
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
Cubbie, my son has just turned 13. Up until about a year ago he wasn't really interested in reading. This really frustrated and dissappointed me as both hubby and I are both avid readers. I always encouraged him but to no avail. All of a sudden one day he just picked up one of the books (Harry Potter I think) and started reading and hasn't stopped......I am soooo glad. He enjoys the Goosebumps Series and Internet Detectives.

He is also a strange one in that he loves all types of music, old new classical, rap, opera, you name it. He is not really interested in playstation or computer games. I tried to encourage him at one stage, just to relieve the boredom, but he is really not interested in it. He prefers the traditional board games.
i got some liewe heksi cd's for my daughter, sure she doesnt understand them coz she's only 4 weeks old. but this way she can hear afrikaans and will help her to learn to speak it. and i just loved listening to liewe heksi as a kid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Travelling with kids dudette 1 4,424 09-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Last Post: dudette
  Kind kids dudette 0 3,503 21-05-2006, 02:04 PM
  Safe Surfing for kids dudette 0 3,575 25-07-2004, 07:30 AM
  Parenting books dudette 11 7,721 13-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Last Post: Icecub
  Cosmetic Kids PomBok 10 8,210 26-01-2004, 12:39 AM
Last Post: sue w