Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cardomon pods
I know this is a really stupid question, but here goes... what kind of curries do you use Cardommon pods for? And when you use it, do you crush the pods and get the little seeds out or do you just put the whole pod in like it is?
Quote:Originally posted by dudette
I know this is a really stupid question, but here goes... what kind of curries do you use Cardommon pods for? And when you use it, do you crush the pods and get the little seeds out or do you just put the whole pod in like it is?

I use them for Cape Malay curry, and I open the shell!!
Quote:Originally posted by mcamp999
I use them for Cape Malay curry, and I open the shell!!

How do you take the sees out? There must be an easier way than I'm using now! And how many pods do you use?
Quote:Originally posted by dudette
How do you take the sees out? There must be an easier way than I'm using now! And how many pods do you use?

You dont take the seeds out, you just split it and put the whole thing in like that. I use 5 pods when I cook.
If you are using green cardamom pods you can put them in whole - they are very fragrant. For a normal curry I only use 3 pods (for a dish serving 4 people). There are a few recipes that require you to remove the seeds from the pod, but I have never done that so cannot comment on its merits.

Just remember, if you are keeping the food for any length of time to take out the pods before storing it as they will go bitter.

When next you cook white rice, add 3 cardamom pods, 3 cloves and a few strips of cinnamon bark (or a half stick of cinnamon) - makes beautifully aromatic rice.
Thank you, bushbaby and Mcamp Smile