Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Children's birthday parties....
I am astounded by this, how ppl are spending more and more on their kid's birthday parties. It is getting more expensive than the prom nights now. :yikes:

My son recently celebrated his 14th and i allowed him to have 8 boys over, for a pizza and dvd evening.

The kids arrived, each of them brought their own remote control cars, and they had a whale of a time in the driveway and down our cul-de-sac.

Then they came in to have something to drink, some crisps to munch and sat down to watch their first dvd of three that we hired.

Then it was time for pizzas....which they loved! :thumbs:

Then they watched the rest of the dvd's, quite a civilised time was had and i was not frazzled like i have been on previous occasions.

I have never had a party every yr for my son, why, it is totally ludicrous!

As for gifts, i have taught my son that just to have his pals around is a great treat for him, and he should not expect pressies - if he gets from them - then yes it is a bonus - but to invite just to expect is just wrong!

And as for goodie bags, when my son had his parties, i bought some sweets and some little plastic toys - the kids went home happy and that was that!

I read that one child came home with a portable dvd player in his goodie bag, his Mom thought he had stolen it until it was assured that all the kids got one in their goodie bags..... pathetic i say!!! (invite me to the party plse) Big Grin

http://www.birthdayswithoutpressure.org/
just keep it simple....I think the competition financially is not about who's party was the greatest for the the kids, but between the parents, so they can brag about how much they spent..
*Doer of healing rituals and keeper of brooms.*

*Water flows, Wind blows, Fire glows, Earth grows, Magic shows.*
Ameniatha Wrote:just keep it simple....I think the competition financially is not about who's party was the greatest for the the kids, but between the parents, so they can brag about how much they spent..

Hi Amen,

For sure, the kids are not bothered, it is the parents trying to keep up the "Jones" :tired:
Icecub Wrote:I read that one child came home with a portable dvd player in his goodie bag, his Mom thought he had stolen it until it was assured that all the kids got one in their goodie bags..... pathetic i say!!! (invite me to the party plse) Big Grin

http://www.birthdayswithoutpressure.org/

Wow, who is this kid ... I think I need a new friend! :haha:
My daughter was invited to her friends 10th birthday party. The friend invited 22 girls :yikes: . All the girls were picked up by a limo, then they went for a drive in the city for some sight seeing. The limo dropped them off at the Holiday Inn hotel, they had supper there, and afterwards they all went swimming in the pool. All 23 girl stayed over in the Hotel and wathced movies. The next morning they all have a huge breakfast. I picked my kid up at 11H00. The goody bag was also something out of the world, there was lipstick, make-up, jewellery (sp?) stationary, little girly pocket calcualtor and candy.

I wonder what the girl getting for her 16th birthday

I stick with pizza and movies. :thumbs:
the mind boggles :dazed:
My aunt spends a fortune each year. For my cousins 18th he and his 'closest' 8 friends where flown to Prague for 4 days. When they returned there was a huge 18th birthday party for the family and his friends plus his sisters friends. This slipped out (as niether myself nor my boet were invited) by younger cousin to my mother. Waste of money was the reply.

In the same vain he was given a new car and wrote it off.

Our little one has parties but the kids are happy with a few cheap plastic toys, a piece of cake and traditional party games - musical chairs, pass the parcel etc. They all go home happy. OK so little one is getting a tad greedy and expects pressies from all those invitied. So much so she has started to invite boys to her party (she's 7). I, alas am not allowed to go as its one of the few times of the year her mother decides to be a mother - thinking that buying expensive gifts will keep her daughter loving her - DVD, TV, MP3, quad bike. This impresses little one for a while but then she goes back to playing with her geomags (£1.89) or some such 'cheap' toy.

It is more to do with parents outdoing one another and trying to buy love - which does not work.

I think we have to get back to basics, If our children come home with expensive goodie bags take them back explaining that they are not needed. If that means she/he loses a friend then they weren't real friends anyway.
fools and their money are soon parted

:mmm:

:am:
gwasi Wrote:If our children come home with expensive goodie bags take them back explaining that they are not needed. If that means she/he loses a friend then they weren't real friends anyway.
I think that's a bit harsh...it is the adults who are the problem...better off giving the goody bag to a char Cool ity shop, I think

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 tips to surviving the holidays with children dudette 5 4,999 23-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Last Post: gwasi
  Children & Emigration Venus 13 8,196 30-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Ameniatha
  Children!! Cali 5 4,461 20-07-2005, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Cali
  Children are so quick.... Pronkertjie 1 3,651 28-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Last Post: penelope
  The questions children ask TheDuck 16 8,113 14-04-2005, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Venus
  What benefits am I entitled to in the UK with children mcamp999 3 7,429 28-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Helaina
  Teaching our children Afrikaans dudette 6 6,602 26-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Last Post: hantam
  Parties Cali 4 4,231 23-01-2005, 08:25 PM
  Stereotypes and children Cali 8 5,554 04-01-2005, 11:04 PM
  Famous children's stories Curio 11 7,161 22-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Almitra