Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dream of healing becomes a reality
Pretoria – Since childhood, Leepile Reamogetse Taunyane knew that one day his hands would heal people and he would make a contribution to improving the country’s healthcare services.

Taunyane, from Mafikeng in the North West, completed his Grade 12 in 2008 and wanted to study medicine. Unfortunately, he didn’t meet the criteria required in some medical schools and could not get in.

Determined to fulfil his dream, the 22-year-old decided to study at the University of North West, where he did a Bachelor of Science in Biology and Chemistry Junior Degree, as well as Honours in Molecular Microbiology to improve his chances of being accepted to medical school.

After applying for a few years to get into the South African-Cuba Medical Students Training Programme, Taunyane was finally accepted this year and will be among the 1 000 students who will jet off to Cuba in September.

“It’s something I always wanted and I knew that one day, I would get a chance. My goal was to go into medicine, hence the degrees I did were more inclined with the medical field ... They offered a better chance to be accepted to any medical school. I wanted to boost my marks with university marks because I knew my potential and it improved my chances,” said an elated Taunyane.

Asked how prepared he is, especially considering that he will have to spend a year learning in Spanish, a confident Taunyane said he has been preparing for this day and has been doing research for the past few years.

“If you know that you want to study medicine abroad, you have to set your mind to adapt to the lifestyle and society on the other side. I’m more prepared now than matric because I also had a few years to prepare while in university,” he said.

He commended the Health Department for this positive initiative. However, he stressed that the outcome rests on the students themselves, who will have to work hard and perform to the best of their abilities.

“The rest is upon us, it solely rests on how an individual relates to this career.”

Making a difference

On the challenges facing his community regarding healthcare services and what difference he would make on his return from Cuba, Taunyane noted that the transport system, in terms of ambulances, was the main challenge.

“This challenge has been overlooked and being a doctor, I would be able to confront it because the elders can’t receive the necessary attention and care they need due to non-availability of transport and they are far from hospitals. Maybe one can raise this with the department and as a doctor, look at this issue and offer a way to address it.

“One can come up with a strategy, offer mobile clinic services that can be available nearby where people live. I believe that you have to experience certain instances in order to address them,” Taunyane said.

While some are not keen to work in rural areas, Taunyane stressed a need to place more emphasis and focus on rural communities.

“I would rather go to a place where I see there’s not much that has been done and that’s exactly where I want to go. I wouldn’t want to see challenges in rural communities while sitting in urban areas,” he told SAnews

Getting ready for Cuba

On 23 July, Deputy Health Minister Dr Gwen Ramokgopa met with the selected students from the North West, Mpumalanga and Gauteng.

The aim of the meeting was to brief them on the processes of the 2013/14 academic year in Cuba and the programme; what is required and expected from them, and generally prepare them for the commencement of the programme this coming September.

Ramokgopa warned the students that while in Cuba, they will miss home and when that happens, they should be resilient, focus, come together and sing the National Anthem.

“You are going there with a mission; medicine is an international language that is scientific. When doctors talk, they talk the same language because humans are the same and you will be learning about the same diseases,” Ramokgopa said.

She also highlighted the challenges involved in studying in Cuba, including how far it is from home, having to learn Spanish as well as not getting the food of their choice.

“You are not going be able to watch DSTV and sometimes you will not have the food that you want, but there’s always an alternative and their food is healthily balanced… This is the real world, you will get these pressures.

“The health system in Cuba is one of the best in the world and has eradicated many diseases, especially TB,” Ramokgopa told the students.

On the issue of their monthly stipend, which saw some students returning to South Africa after a strike over the R2 000 monthly stipend, Ramokgopa maintained that the amount was more than enough.

"Although we say it is incorrect for a family to have R2 000 as an income, but for a student, it’s more than enough. It is over and above the meals provided by Cubans. If we could afford more, we would give you, but we won’t have money to run the health system.

“We will look after you if you have concerns. Form small committees for food, accommodation, academic, social, support and if you organise yourselves, you won’t have any problems.”

Ramokgopa will also visit Pietermaritzburg in KwaZulu-Natal on Wednesday and on Thursday, she will be at Bisho in the Eastern Cape and she will end off in Bloemfontein, Free State on Friday.

About 356 doctors have so far qualified in Cuba and are practicing in healthcare facilities in South Africa. The programme is aimed at tackling the doctor shortage and assisting in the overhauling of the healthcare system. – SAnews.gov.za