Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual Citizenship
Ok, I am confused.

I was born in the UK and was there until the age 0f 3, when my parents came back to South Africa.
My parents then acquired Citizenship for me in South Africa, and I now hold a South African Passport, and ID and tax number etc.
I also hold my British passport (or did until a year ago, as my 10 year British passport expired last year).

I have never travelled on my UK passport, and have recently started working in New Zealand, after acquiring a work visa and permit, which was stamped in my SA passport.

I would now like to look for jobs in the UK and gain employment there. Obviously the best option would be to renew my British passport and utilise that to gain work and move to the UK, as this will ommit me having to obtain Visas etc.

My confusion is how do I renew my British passport and still keep my South African passport and thereby hold dual citizenship. My main reason for wanting to keep my SA passport is incase I want to return to SA, and also that I have a wife and 2 kids who are SA citizens by birth, and still have family in SA whom we will surely visit ever so often.

Now I never applied for Dual Citizenship to SA as I was never aware of this, and being only 28 now, my last UK passport was issued when I was 17 years old.

As you can see I was born in 1977, and therefore can still hold my UK passport and claim birth rights to the UK.

Anyone have any information on what I need to do to keep both my passports and to renew my UK passport as soon as possible. And also would I get a normal UK passport or would I now get the newer UK passports?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Popeye
You dont have to apply for dual citizenship, as you are a British Citizen by right. Only people applying for British citizenship by naturalisation have to worry about this.

So you can apply for your UK passport no probs
Thanks Mcamp999.

So does that mean that even though I apply for my UK passport, I can still keep my South African passport, and still being in New Zealand, will not jeopardise my work permit and visa which is stamped in my South African passport?

So I am legally allowed to hold 2 passports (viz. SA and UK) already?
popeye Wrote:Thanks Mcamp999.

So does that mean that even though I apply for my UK passport, I can still keep my South African passport, and still being in New Zealand, will not jeopardise my work permit and visa which is stamped in my South African passport?

So I am legally allowed to hold 2 passports (viz. SA and UK) already?

Yes, that is exactly what that means, when you need to renew your SA passport, you will need to have evidence that you had the entitlement to UK citizenship through birth, i.e. a birth certificate, but you will have no futher hassles.
Thanks Mcamp999

Now, one more question. Will my wife and kids be entitled to apply for British passports and citizenship, based on the fact that I am a British Citizen by birth?

And can they apply at anytime, or do they only apply after we arrive to settle in the UK? I do understand that they will obviously have to apply for a section 6 from SA to keep their SA citizenship and passports.

Also is there a good website to view to get an idea of the cost of living in the UK in different areas? So I know what salary to be looking at if I come to settle in the UK?

Thanks once again.
Hi Popeye

As I'm not sure what industry you might be in and on the outside chance you're in Catering/ Hospitality - have a look here:

http://www.caterer.com/SAL/salarychecker.asp

Re the cost of living:

As an idea nad making it more personal to yourself, why don't you post a 'long thread' on your typical groceries you might purchase, the size of house you're looking for, the area, etc. That way a few people from around the country might have different prices for you to compare to (I live in the south East of England - generally speaking a more expensive area ITO cost and earnings potential.)

There are quite a few factors to take into account and not too sure whether all or if any have any relevance to you down there, earning the NZ Dollar and what your outgoings might be eg:

Road Tax for your car
Insurance
MOT
Petrol Price
Council Tax
Gas
Water
Electricity
Landline Telephone
Mobile Telephone
Household groceries
Entertainment

Comparing them to NZ Dollars might be a little disconcerting - just don't compare to the Rand Wink
Cheffie Wrote:Hi Popeye

As I'm not sure what industry you might be in and on the outside chance you're in Catering/ Hospitality - have a look here:

http://www.caterer.com/SAL/salarychecker.asp

Re the cost of living:

As an idea nad making it more personal to yourself, why don't you post a 'long thread' on your typical groceries you might purchase, the size of house you're looking for, the area, etc. That way a few people from around the country might have different prices for you to compare to (I live in the south East of England - generally speaking a more expensive area ITO cost and earnings potential.)

There are quite a few factors to take into account and not too sure whether all or if any have any relevance to you down there, earning the NZ Dollar and what your outgoings might be eg:

Road Tax for your car
Insurance
MOT
Petrol Price
Council Tax
Gas
Water
Electricity
Landline Telephone
Mobile Telephone
Household groceries
Entertainment

Comparing them to NZ Dollars might be a little disconcerting - just don't compare to the Rand Wink

Thanks Cheffie.

Well as for living items, I would be looking at getting a car and paying it off over 3 years at most, This would be a family car for a family of 4

Groceries, would be the normal:
Bread
Milk
Cheese
Cold drinks
Juice
Meat
Vegetables
Frozen foods (Chicken, mixed veggies, chips, etc.)
Ice Cream
Baby cereal and milk powders
Nappies

The area I think will probably be Near Birmingham or Luton.

My area of work is IT - Database Administrator.

I would need to than know the petrol costs or public transport costs,
Rental prices for a 3 bedroom house, with possibility to purchase our own place within about 2-3 years max.

Tax categories and percentages. GST / VAT and percentage?

It looks like the average pay in this job category is about 35000 a year, is this reasonable, can one make a reasonable living there with a family of 4, and one income, as the wife is still looking after the little one.

School fees for a 3 year old over the next few years?

Lights and water (and gas) average costs.
I'll do some research over the items you've mentioned. Hopefully others with kids etc can help out re school fees etc.
£35000 isn't bad - but for a family of four it might be a little tight. There are probably government grants you could get as well, though I'm sure some of the wiser bunch will let you know too.

Out of interest.. why do you want to leave NZ?

What area are you living in down there?
popeye Wrote:Thanks Mcamp999

Now, one more question. Will my wife and kids be entitled to apply for British passports and citizenship, based on the fact that I am a British Citizen by birth

And can they apply at anytime, or do they only apply after we arrive to settle in the UK? I do understand that they will obviously have to apply for a section 6 from SA to keep their SA citizenship and passports.?.

They will have to apply for a visa as accompanying a British citizen. They will have to apply for this before coming to the UK. They will then be given a one year visa. At the end of the year, they will need to reapply for what is called indefinite leave to remain. Then, after 5 years they can apply for a UK passport.

If you read some of the threads on this section, you will find many of the answers to your questions

popeye Wrote:Also is there a good website to view to get an idea of the cost of living in the UK in different areas? So I know what salary to be looking at if I come to settle in the UK?

Thanks once again.

Only a pleasure to help, This website will help you with some cost of living information http://www.upmystreet.com/
Thanks to you all for your time and kind assistance. It is much appreciated.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for citizenship etc Cheffie 0 5,458 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Dual nationality alvonhumb 0 15,574 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  More Questions On Dual Citizenship Bean of Love 0 4,403 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: