Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edible Landscape
It just struck me whilst mulling over what to do with the garden this winter how practical the old boere were when it came to planting up their towns and gardens.

My mother is from the Transvaal (as it was back then) and she remembers that most backyards had apple, fig or pear trees in, usually more than one. She also remembers that the streets were planted with date palms, and sometimes other fruiting trees. How practical is that? The trees fulfill the civic function of beautifying the town and giving shade, but also fulfill a practical function of providing food.

I look to my own housing estate here in Dublin and am impressed with whoever did the tree planting on the estate 18 years ago when it was built - many back gardens have at least an apple tree in them, and along the road in front of the houses there are cherry trees - the type that produce edible fruit, not the ornamental variety.

It makes great sense to combine aesthetics with practical function when planting up a community or garden.

I was wondering how your neighbourhoods/gardens compare, and if there are no fruiting plants in your gardens, what would you plant if you could?
Our neighbours garden is only ornamental, and we even have an ornamental apple which the previous owners must have planted. I am with you regarding the planting of fruit trees etc, and have always wished to have my own fruit tree in my garden. Our garden is a little on the small side, and as we are still in the planning stages of redesigining our garden, a little more thought needs to go into our own fruit tree.
When we bought our first house in SA, I immediately planted a guava tree and a cherry guava... unfortunately that won't be possible here in this climate...

I wonder if cherry trees are suitable for a small garden?
Yes BB i can relate to having many fruit trees in our garden back home as a child.... :cheer:

Here i recently discovered blackberries, hoping that they will survive the landscapers hands next month then will see if i can harvest some next yr for some jam.... :mmm:
Icecub Wrote:Yes BB i can relate to having many fruit trees in our garden back home as a child.... :cheer:

Here i recently discovered blackberries, hoping that they will survive the landscapers hands next month then will see if i can harvest some next yr for some jam.... :mmm:

Blackberries are great - if your nursery can order a few Pacific Hybrids for you will be in heaven - these produce fruit about four times the size of the regular stuff, but with the same sweet flavour.

Also, if you want to get raspberries - buy the golden fruiting strain as it confuses the birds.
dudette Wrote:Our neighbours garden is only ornamental, and we even have an ornamental apple which the previous owners must have planted. I am with you regarding the planting of fruit trees etc, and have always wished to have my own fruit tree in my garden. Our garden is a little on the small side, and as we are still in the planning stages of redesigining our garden, a little more thought needs to go into our own fruit tree.
When we bought our first house in SA, I immediately planted a guava tree and a cherry guava... unfortunately that won't be possible here in this climate...

I wonder if cherry trees are suitable for a small garden?

Dudette, I think if you were to buy a cherry tree that had been grafted onto dwarf rootstock you would be fine. Otherwise careful pruning will keep the tree manageable.

If your garden is really tiny you can grow fruit trees as espaliers against the walls - you get maximum fruiting in minimum space.