Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Education MEC to address student grievances
The Gauteng Education Department says it will address the grievances raised by Congress of South Africa Students (Cosas) in a memorandum handed to the department last week.

“I agree with 98 percent of the grievances. I will meet with Cosas to discuss the student’s grievances,” Gauteng Education MEC Panyazi Lesufi said on Monday, at a media briefing in Johannesburg.

MEC Lesufi had earlier in the day met with Cosas and the South Africa Informal Traders Forum (Saitf) to discuss a march led by the congress in the Johannesburg CBD, last week.

The learners, in their memorandum, demanded that the department end corporal punishment in schools, supply sanitary towels, end the sexual harassment of girls, and provide safety and security.

The march turned violent when some members looted from street vendors.

MEC Lesufi said Cosas had during the meeting apologised to the South Africa Informal Traders Forum (Saitf) for its behaviour.

Cosas President, Collen Malatji, said: "We are taking responsibility for what happened, we apologise to the public and the hawkers.”

The apology was accepted by the Saitf Provincial Chairman, Sam Khasibe, and General Secretary, Brian Phaaloh.

Malatji said the student body did not condone pupils misbehaving during marches as it had lost support from members of society.

Khasibe said the forum was impressed that Cosas had apologised for its irresponsible behaviour.

He called on marchers to behave responsibly when marching.

MEC Lesufi said the Gauteng Provincial Government had prioritised growing the township economy and South African Informal Traders Forum formed an important part of that economy.

“We should therefore ensure that when there are demonstrations, their businesses are protected. I deeply regret the pain the sellers went through when their products were taken," he said. – SAnews.gov.za

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Strides made to address youth unemployment Newsroom 0 2,867 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: