Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Email Privacy
Mmmnn I am an unhappy Bean today.

As you know I am maternity leave at the moment... however I still have access to my email through the Domino server.....

I have learnt that our HR Manager has requested that she be given access to my email. I don't have anything to hide, but there are a few confidential things which I keep. Can she request this without my ok?

I also have to add that the HR Manager and myself do not see eye to eye, and she would do ANYTHING to get rid of me... she tried her best while I was pregnant...she did the subtle bullying and the snide remarks etc...

Does anyone know what my rights are??

thanx.

Burnt Bean
Beans
Beanie the company provides you with email as an aid to doing your job. Whilst they wouldnt snoop unnecessarily they do have the right to access it for work purposes. Your manager can say she needs access to your mail for this reason. Strictly speaking your work email should only be used for work purposes and so I doubt you ahve much of a foot to stand on.
Beanie..... I have some gmails to give away.... all for free Wink

:daisy:
Thanx Pic and Pronks...

Well as far as my email goes... I know that my boss doesn't know about the HR manager asking for access to my email... my boss was in Egypt when the HR lady asked for access.

That is what worries me, you see I often keep stuff for my boss which she doesn't want the rest of the company to see... That is why my position is privelledged working for the MD..

Pronks...I have gmail, but I was never able to access it from the office... I had to go through a proxy server to get access, which is quite e lenghty process. In any case, I never did use my office email for private stuff... I see no point. Most of the girls in the office send jokes etc around, but I don't have the time to send stuff like that around....
Beans
It is a known fact that work email is supplied for that reason. But with the Data Protection Act, they cannot use your emails against you or read your emails without your knowledge unless they are investigating you for some specific reason ie they believe you to providing competitors with information and other things along that line.
If memory serves me correct with the Data Protection Act they are obliged to inform you if they are monitoring your emails.
I would let your direct boss know especially as you say you hold private and confidential information for them.
Not sure how your company works but with PDK I have two private folders, one is PDKPrivat which is accesible upon request if there are two managers and a director (as well as someone from the IT section to unlock it) present and then there is my private folder which is not accessible by anyone at all. The IT department has the power to shred the contents upon the request of very the high powers but no-one but me has access to it. So if you have two such folders I suggest you sort your confidential e-mails into the relevant folders. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Email White List Jangar 5 3,967 22-05-2005, 06:22 PM
Last Post: mcamp999
  privacy - help required please whirlpool 14 6,964 15-04-2004, 09:20 PM
Last Post: FlyingBok
  Free Email Accounts Strawbs 4 4,647 12-02-2004, 10:56 PM
Last Post: FlyingBok
  email not deletable Pronkertjie 0 3,362 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: