Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fat32??
Oh dear, my computer skills are not as good as those of pics, Jan, the Boss, etc etc.

My broadband modem keeps on "switching off"....... I have to then restart my computer, but it will not "die" on me, I have to switch it off physically (I have not beaten it yet!!!)

Anyway.........I get this message:

FAT32...one of the disks shows inconsitencies....

What does this mean??
Windows XP Pro scans this disk, but why??

:comp:
According to my husband FAT32 refers to file allocation table which basically means your hard drive is on its way out or dead already. Action to be taken remove hardrive and thrown in bin. (sorry his words not mine) Sorry Joan had to put that in.

Aparently your file allocation table tells windows where files are allocated on your hardrive.

Hope this helps.
lols Wrote:According to my husband FAT32 refers to file allocation table which basically means your hard drive is on its way out or dead already. Action to be taken remove hardrive and thrown in bin. (sorry his words not mine) Sorry Joan had to put that in.

Aparently your file allocation table tells windows where files are allocated on your hardrive.

Hope this helps.

Depending on what OS (operating system) you're running there is a back-up FAT, but I am not sure where it is hidden and can't recall how to overwrite your "current" one...

My suggestion is that you back up everything important ASAP and when you have done that you could do a few things....

The easiest but most boring is to replace your hard drive...

Otherwise you can run an F-Disk (this will destroy all data on the hard-disk) and hope that it will discover that sector zero, track zero is damaged and will use another location for it....

Thirdly you could mark sector zero, track zero as damaged (you may need 3rd party software to do this as I don't think Windows is able to do this...) but once again you'll need to use the back-up FAT I think...

Sorry I can't be of much help Joan
Could an easy solution is actually to backup everything and make sure you have all the necessary driver's etc and try and reformat the hard drive. I had this problem a while ago and did this and it work out fine!
lols Wrote:Could an easy solution is actually to backup everything and make sure you have all the necessary driver's etc and try and reformat the hard drive. I had this problem a while ago and did this and it work out fine!
Lols, after talking to you I phoned the friend I told you about. He suggested that I should unplug the modem. I did so this morning and waited about a minuted before plugging it in, and it worked then...I did not need to "switch off" the computer at all?

:mmm: