Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foods that the younger generation like to eat in restaurants?
Hi all

I am Head Chef of a restaurant near London and I'm currently drawing up my seasonal menus for the next 6 months.

My questions to the youngsters (read as 5 - 13 yrs old) are as follows:

When you go out to eat with your folks what do you look for on the menu?

What kind of food do you expect?

Are there do's and don'ts when it comes to your type of food?

What are your favourite foods to eat out?

Are health foods popular?

Are there certain colours that are not recommended?

What kind of restaurants do you normally eat in?

What kind of price range do you pay?

Any advice or tips that you can give me would be much appreciated - please bear in mind that the requests are general and directed not only at the young South African element in the UK, but on a broader scale.

Many thanks
G
My son is 3 so I'll answer on his behalf.

Danny likes simple, plain food. When we go out, he usually asks for egg & chips. Food for small children is best served on a plate which enables the food to cool down quickly. We've had many tears because chips in restaurants & pubs are often served in a fancy bowl but are too hot for a hungry child to eat immediately.

I hope this helps. I know you're aiming at 5 - 13 year olds, but younger toddlers also need to eat when out with their parents. Smile
>>~V~ę~ñ~ů~Ş~<<
Venus Wrote:My son is 3 so I'll answer on his behalf.

I hope this helps. I know you're aiming at 5 - 13 year olds, but younger toddlers also need to eat when out with their parents. Smile

Thanks Venus... but getting 3 year olds to type and make coherent sentences is difficult Wink
Big Grin

Thanks for the feedback so far. Cool plates are generally what is given to a child, unless the parents request it warmed.

Egg and chips is one idea, but to be pedantic... is it a fried egg or eggs? Do they prefer poached or scrambled (dry or wet?)... if you see what I mean.

I know the answers are sometimes quite simple, however when it comes to the preparation of food and deliverance thereof, meeting and exceeding their expectations (albeit armed with insider knowledge Wink ) is the goal...

More ideas please Smile
I am 10 and I like chicken pieces instead of nuggets, mash potato instead of chips, other varies of potato instead of just chips. Cottage pie or shepards pie, sweetcorn instead of just beans. Different kinds of pasta and sauce.

I am Craig and am 6 and I love vegetables. I also like the food my sister has said.
Cheffie Wrote:When you go out to eat with your folks what do you look for on the menu?

G

hi, my name is jamie and i am 9.
on the menu I look for chilli con carne, pastas and spaghetti bolognese. I also like create your own meals, I also like vegetables.
I expect a mediam portion of food.
there are not do's and dont's in my tybe of food.
my favourite food is chilli con carne.
I do not like health food that much.
I am fine with colours.
I like to go to mcdonalds.
I pay between £3.00-£7.00.
Thanks Ashleigh, the no-name 6 year old sibling, and Jamie. Much appreciated. :thumbs:

Very interesting so far...
Cheffie Wrote:Thanks Venus... but getting 3 year olds to type and make coherent sentences is difficult Wink
Big Grin

Thanks for the feedback so far. Cool plates are generally what is given to a child, unless the parents request it warmed.

Egg and chips is one idea, but to be pedantic... is it a fried egg or eggs? Do they prefer poached or scrambled (dry or wet?)... if you see what I mean.

I know the answers are sometimes quite simple, however when it comes to the preparation of food and deliverance thereof, meeting and exceeding their expectations (albeit armed with insider knowledge Wink ) is the goal...

More ideas please Smile

I now realise that I misread your question. :duh: My interpretation was that your child menu was aimed at that age group. :haha:

Danny prefers fried egg so that he can dip his chips, but you may have another child who prefers it cooked a different way. Smile
>>~V~ę~ñ~ů~Ş~<<
will reply on behalf of my son....... :jester:

Cheffie Wrote:Hi all

I am Head Chef of a restaurant near London and I'm currently drawing up my seasonal menus for the next 6 months.

look directly for a kids menu

Mac's.....not what my Mom likes

to use my knife and fork

What are your favourite foods to eat out
chicken nuggets and chips

no

yes, anything green

any restaurant but not a fish restaurant as fish stinks

dunno, my parents pay

Any advice or tips that you can give me would be much appreciated - please bear in mind that the requests are general and directed not only at the young South African element in the UK, but on a broader scale.

Many thanks
G

Hope that helped Cheffie.. Smile
Thanks Moms, dads... but more importantly the young ones... :thumbs:

Keep up the info - I have loads to learn!
Cheffie Wrote:Hi all

Many thanks
G
I look on the menu for chickin nuggets and chips, spaggetie bolanas.
I like a huge portion of my food.
yes there. they are that I like my food to taste nice.
my favourate foods to eat out are chickin nuggets and chips.
I do not like health foods no.
I do not recommend any colours.
I normally eat at nandos.
I will ask my mother and post this question.