Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the Birds.
I went out this morning and all over the grass were Robins. They're back Big Grin
Does that mean winter is over for us - this early? In the past, we have had big snowfalls in January. Lately our temps have been between 13 - 17 C. That's not warm weather, even for birds.
In the northeast they're having record cold temperatures at the moment. Do the Robins know something we don't know or has mother nature fooled them?
Quote:Originally posted by Toktokkie
I went out this morning and all over the grass were Robins. They're back Big Grin
Does that mean winter is over for us - this early? In the past, we have had big snowfalls in January. Lately our temps have been between 13 - 17 C. That's not warm weather, even for birds.
In the northeast they're having record cold temperatures at the moment. Do the Robins know something we don't know or has mother nature fooled them?

I'm not sure about American Robins Toktokkie. But British Robins are winter birds and their song heralds the start of winter over here.

Here's a link which will tell you a lot about it....

http://www.geocities.com/robbinknapp/rom...migrae.htm
Quote:Originally posted by Tara
I'm not sure about American Robins Toktokkie. But British Robins are winter birds and their song heralds the start of winter over here.

Here's a link which will tell you a lot about it....

http://www.geocities.com/robbinknapp/rom...migrae.htm

Interesting, thank you.
The American Robin heralds the arrival of spring so I'm hoping that's an indicator that the remainder of our winter will continue to be mild. Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Toktokkie
Interesting, thank you.
The American Robin heralds the arrival of spring so I'm hoping that's an indicator that the remainder of our winter will continue to be mild. Smile

I thought the American Robin heralded Batman Big Grin
I am Immortal
I have inside me Blood of Kings!
Quote:Originally posted by The Highlander
I thought the American Robin heralded Batman Big Grin

:p Big Grin
Around here I think we wait for the cuckoo. Or was it the blackbird?

The rooks and jackdaws are lurking about the trees in the park as usual, looking shifty and cawing at anyone and everyone that passes by. Nothing unusual there...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spoilt Birds Bushbaby 3 3,030 21-07-2004, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Venus