Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frank Lord - Cape Town City
if you want to see even more take a look here

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid...779&ref=ts

the person who dealt with the book is Peter Raath haven't heard from him for a while

on Amazon it says: Out of Print--Limited Availability

let me know how it goes
Thanks TheDuck
Hi all...this is/was a great thread and brought many happy memories back for me too. I was also a regular Friday night fanatic. Although I supported CT and hardly missed a game I would also go to most of the Hellenic games.

In those days I used to play for Camps Bay and what a heady experience that was. Many of the old CTC and some Hellenic players came to play for the Bay and as juniors we often had the priviledge of practicing with them...some of these amazing players included Richard Allen, Don McKenzie, Phil Green, Billy Moore and our coach was Peter Martin.

Our junior side was quite strong and we won the U16 and U18 league titles so in our final year as juniors Peter Martin wopuld give some of us the chance to play in the 1st team with these great players. Oh well, those WERE the days but what a great experience it was.

Please keep on posting here!
Hi

I grew up in the Western Cape Country side, do remember reading about CTC and Hellenic during the 1970s in "Die Burger." Am interested in the history of the club - when founded and disbanded etc.

Please help with information - know that the club first competed in the National Football League during 1962.

Thank you
Wow!! What a super thread. I have Peter's book, well worth getting. Grew up as a kid in Woodstock, never missed a Friday night at Hartleyvale, used to sit on the benches in front of the Ramps to the left of the tunnel. So many happy memories...exciting soccer, fantastic atmosphere. Live in the UK now, have been to may games around the country in all divisions...only Elland Road rivals the Hartleyvale buzz. The Premier League clubs are all dead and uninteresting.

For those who have Football Manager 2010 on PC, I have developed a database for you to use which is based on the NFL of the 60s and 70s. If you want, I can email it to you to use in the game. No doubt you will enjoy it, playing classic matches against all those clubs from the past - IN THEIR COLOURS!!

Teams include:

CT City, Hellenic, Highlands, Durban City, Durban Utd, Durban Celtic, Addington, Rangers, Germiston Callies, Southern Suburbs, Arcadia, Berea Park, Bloemfontein City, Powerlines, Boksburg, Corinthians, Ramblers, Robertsham Callies, Troyeville, UCT, Camps Bay, Clyde-Pinelands, Tramway, Wynberg, Bellville City, Ottery-Furness, Meadowridge, Green Point, PE City, East London United, Hamilton United, Crusaders, Westview Apollon, Durban Spurs, CT Spurs, Glenville.....and many more!!

Players include:

Ronnie Mann (Dbn Utd), Wilf De Bruyn (Hellenic), Billy O'Grady (Hellenic), Des Backos (Highlands), Trevor Gething (Arcadia), Vic Lovell (CT City), Charlie Naude (Germiston Callies), Tony Macedo (Dbn City), Jingles Perreira (CT City), George Mulhall (CT City), Nicky Howe (Berea), Bobby Braithwaite (Bloem City), Archie Soekoe (Rangers), Gary Newins (Green Point) and so many more.

Stadiums are all there:

Hartleyvale (CT City), Green Point Stadium (Hellenic), Ringwood Drive (Clyde-Pinelands), New Kingsmead (Durban clubs), Rand Stadium (Rangers, Suburbs, Lusitano), Caledonian Stadium (Arcadia), Balfour Park (Highlands), Jan Smuts Stadium (Maritzburg) and so on.
martinh Wrote:Hi all...this is/was a great thread and brought many happy memories back for me too. I was also a regular Friday night fanatic. Although I supported CT and hardly missed a game I would also go to most of the Hellenic games.

In those days I used to play for Camps Bay and what a heady experience that was. Many of the old CTC and some Hellenic players came to play for the Bay and as juniors we often had the priviledge of practicing with them...some of these amazing players included Richard Allen, Don McKenzie, Phil Green, Billy Moore and our coach was Peter Martin.

Our junior side was quite strong and we won the U16 and U18 league titles so in our final year as juniors Peter Martin wopuld give some of us the chance to play in the 1st team with these great players. Oh well, those WERE the days but what a great experience it was.

Please keep on posting here!

As i think I have mentioned before in this thread, the original CTC team was minly made up from Marist players and a few Camps Bay players, so many of those who played for them came back to Marist and trained us as juniors, when we were a force to be reckoned with.
Delmeister would love to get that database, did you play football yourself in those days?
Yes, U12 and U14 with Marist, U16 Bellville, U18 Liesbeek Park, Seniors at Rygersdal...IFA for Ireland (one game for Germany)...Sunday Business League for Lord Milner...great times! Message me your email address and I will send you the database...wait till you start playing NFL!! It is awesome Smile
Delmeister Wrote:Yes, U12 and U14 with Marist, U16 Bellville, U18 Liesbeek Park, Seniors at Rygersdal...IFA for Ireland (one game for Germany)...Sunday Business League for Lord Milner...great times! Message me your email address and I will send you the database...wait till you start playing NFL!! It is awesome Smile

Aah another Marist old boy, when did you play for them?
Marist 1972 to 1974 - won knock out Cup with U12s

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cape Town soccer at a crossroads mcamp999 2 4,092 30-07-2005, 10:48 AM
Last Post: mcamp999
  Cape Town City hilton_teper 0 12,738 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: