Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fruit, eg loquats
We were talking here at work about different fruit. I remember we had a loquat tree in our garden when I was a child. I haven't seen them in ages. Remember other fruit like quinces, pomagranets (sp??) etc.

Do any of you remember these types of fruit?
Quote:Originally posted by Curio
We were talking here at work about different fruit. I remember we had a loquat tree in our garden when I was a child. I haven't seen them in ages. Remember other fruit like quinces, pomagranets (sp??) etc.

I used to love pomegranets (sp)

used to sit and pick all the bits of fruit out with a pin Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by Curio

What about "custard apples & jack fruit"

HH
:thumbs: Confusedurfing: Confusedunny:
I remember loquats, pomegranates, medlars, feijoas, amantungulu, and brush cherries (made interesting jam), bananadillas, and some fruit that grew on a vine and tasted like spanspek (never did know its name).

Fresh fruit that I really miss over here are guavas and figs.
My brother use to love 'stampvrugte' (enghlish?) he ate bags full of the stuff, I found it very disgusting
Moenie kwaad gaan slaap nie, bly wakker en baklei

Bird of prey

What you are isn't written down in stone

Lover of all things RED especially wine

''aai aai die witborskraai''
I remember locquats... a delicious! Smile

I also remember chinese guavas... hmmm! When we bought our house over 10 years ago, the first trees I planted were a guava tree and a chinese guava tree. The chinese guava tree takes 7 years till they start fruiting, so you can imagine my tears when I now see that they are only fruiting now. At least we still own the place and might get to enjoy them ourselves sometime.

Who remembers Eugenia berries? (the red ones)
Grenadillas, kumkwats, gooseberries, yellow peaches, suur vye.
Do any of you remember eating surings and foetangs?
Some of the fruits mentioned I have never heard of!!!
My grandmother used to call them turksvye ... the fruit of a certain cactus that grows in the Eastern cape Smile
I went into "fruit & veg city" the other day & saw "Star fruit".
Never heard of it before & another one called "Sharon fruit".
Gosh, there seems to be so many different types of fruit.