Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gallstones
Not sure if you saw this site - has quite a lot of info

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases...s/#treated
Quote:Originally posted by Tara
Wow suep, that's incredible! So it's not an *old persons illness* then? My Mum would be going to Poole Hospital too.

My daughter lives in Portsmouth so she had it done at the BUPA hospital down there. Poole hospital is a good hospital though
Hi tara,

I've had my gallbladder removed 8 yrs ago in SA. The best way is the laser technique. It's basically painfree as they use the laser and instruments, hence only three little holes and no big scar. Is worth it, because gallstones can cause you to be very ill if it for instance cause an obstruction etc. So my advise is get it out asap Smile

Oh, and to drink water will not clear gallstones, although it is always good to drink 8 and more glasses a day anyway!! Big Grin

Good luck to your mum!
Quote:Originally posted by oe-la-la
Hi tara,

I've had my gallbladder removed 8 yrs ago in SA. The best way is the laser technique. It's basically painfree as they use the laser and instruments, hence only three little holes and no big scar. Is worth it, because gallstones can cause you to be very ill if it for instance cause an obstruction etc. So my advise is get it out asap Smile

Oh, and to drink water will not clear gallstones, although it is always good to drink 8 and more glasses a day anyway!! Big Grin

Good luck to your mum!

Thanks oe-la-la. She's now booked in to have it removed at the end of the month. Bless her, she's so scared. Sad They are using that technique, but I'm not sure about the laser. Probably though!
Thanks oe-la-la. She's now booked in to have it removed at the end of the month. Bless her, she's so scared. Sad They are using that technique, but I'm not sure about the laser. Probably though!

i shall be thinking of her...Smile
my mom had hers removed about 4 years ago aswell and she has not regretted one day of it since. she had the lazer thingy done on her. no nasty scars ect.

hope all goes well with your mom. let us know how the op went. and tell her a lot of buzzer are thinking of her.
Wow suep, that's incredible! So it's not an *old persons illness* then?

Old person's illness indeed! That made me chuckle. Actually doctors say the five F's best describe the group MOST affected by (but not limited to) gallbladder disease: fair, fat, forty, fertile and female. That is to say white women, over forty who still have their reproductive system intact and have excess weight.

Now I fit three of the criteria (fair, over forty and female :p) and had mine removed a couple years ago. They do it laproscopically with three tiny little holes, one of which is through the tummy button so is not noticable at all. I had it done in the morning and went home the same afternoon.

About a week later I had an avocado pear, the one thing I love, but which never failed to set off an attack and lo and behold, I had another attack and continued having attacks. To cut a long story short, I have an extra pancreatic duct and it was also too narrow. Since pancreatic ducts and bile ducts empty together the symptoms are identical. This is very, very rare so don't let this be of any concern relating to your mother.
Her surgery must be coming up shortly and I'm sure she'll be just fine. Most people are very happy once the gallbladder is removed.