Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gardening and Heritage Societies
How many of you are members of a gardening or heritage society?

I'm actually curious to see how many people are aware of the organisations that work to preserve older, less well known cultivars of popular garden and edible plants and if you think it is important to preserve this heritage?
Are you taking about specifically gardening-related heritage societies? Because I belong to the National Trust, but that's it. I've considered joining the Royal Horticultural Society from time to time, but never got my butt into gear for it...

Keeping old varieties going is good for biodiversity, but how practical would it be?
Quote:Originally posted by dudette
Are you taking about specifically gardening-related heritage societies? Because I belong to the National Trust, but that's it. I've considered joining the Royal Horticultural Society from time to time, but never got my butt into gear for it...

Keeping old varieties going is good for biodiversity, but how practical would it be?

Best way to answer your second question is to share what happened with the world wheat crop in the late 70's. The wheat crop was attacked by a severe bacterial (I think) disease to which the popular cultivated strains had no resistance. Chemical intervention was only moderately effective. It was noted through research that a strain of wild wheat was immune to the bacteria and commercial strains were crossed with this wild strain in order to pass that immunity into cultivated crops, thereby ensuring the future success of wheat production.

Similarly, most commercial farmers use a very limited range of cultivars for any given crop, their main requirements being that they mature uniformly and travel well - chemicals help with both and also take care of diseases and pests. Problem is, these plants have lowered immunity to infections as they rely almost exlusively on chemicals to protect them. By maintaining heritage cultivars we provide a genetic back up for commercial crops and also as a rule produce crops that taste better (this being the primary consideration for growing rather than a thick skin and keeping abilities) and are better adapted to local conditions than the commercial stuff.

I think the National Trust would apply as they do protect a lot of period properties, and are particular as a rule about growing period plants on said properties.

A good place to become a member of is the HDRA - Henry Doubleday Research Association. They save seed for both garden and vegetable varieties that are no longer common.
We are also members of the National Trust and the Welsh Wild Life Society, which includes plants as well as animals...

Interesting reply you gave regarding the wheat Bushbaby.
Quote:Originally posted by Joan
We are also members of the National Trust and the Welsh Wild Life Society, which includes plants as well as animals...

Interesting reply you gave regarding the wheat Bushbaby.

Thanks Joan,

They way to look at that story, as it was explained to me, is what would have happened if that wild strain of wheat had been extinct? What would have happened to the world's wheat crops and the people that rely so heavily on this as a food source?

They were lucky in that they had something to bail them out, and it is very shortsighted of the commercial growers and government policy makers to not protect the full genetic diversity present in present cultivated crops.
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
Thanks Joan,

They way to look at that story, as it was explained to me, is what would have happened if that wild strain of wheat had been extinct? What would have happened to the world's wheat crops and the people that rely so heavily on this as a food source?

They were lucky in that they had something to bail them out, and it is very shortsighted of the commercial growers and government policy makers to not protect the full genetic diversity present in present cultivated crops.

Bushbaby, if one thinks of the potato blight in Ireland 184..something, man has very little chance against the elements and nature...

I do love reading about plants, the agriculture and nature.

In spite of our differences (Wink ) as you may recall ( in the past!!!!! where it belongs!!!!) I love to read your postings!

Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vegetable Gardening Bushbaby 5 4,309 27-01-2004, 03:19 PM
Last Post: Icecub
  Squarefoot Gardening Bushbaby 0 3,957 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: