Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green Point Stadium wrong choice ???
By Lindsay Dentlinger

A Fifa technical delegation pronounced itself satisfied by progress made on the Green Point Stadium and 2010 World Cup preparations after a brief visit to the city on Tuesday.

Fifa's media operations manager Alain Leiblang said they had not identified any shortcomings in the project preparations and it appeared the city's 2010 project teams had understood well what they were required to produce - not only to make the event a success but also to ensure it left a legacy for the city.

Leiblang said he was particularly impressed by the city's urban park plans to retain the sporting precinct around the stadium.

'So far things are perfect'
The plan has, however, yet to be approved by Environment MEC Tasneem Essop.

The delegation of more than 40 technical experts in IT, competitions, marketing, media, accommodation, security, stadium construction and transportation was briefed by city and provincial officials following an on-site inspection of construction work.

Said Leiblang: "From what we've heard so far, there are no alarm bells that have been rung. We have a level of confidence in what we've been presented with. So far things are perfect.

"We are on time and everything is on track."

Leiblang would not be drawn into commenting on recent work stoppages at the stadium, saying he had experienced worse situations in the run-up to other World Cups, including that in France in 1998.

'We are on time and everything is on track'
Cape Town is the second of four World Cup host cities to be visited by this technical team this week as part of standard procedure to get a status update on preparations.

The Fifa team will visit Cape Town again at least twice next year.

Recent labour unrest and bad weather cost the city its five-week lead in construction, but 2010 spokesperson Pieter Cronjé said the construction team hoped to build a fresh lead again soon.

"We are on programme, but we are confident that we can make up lost time. We want to get ahead again," he said.

The Fifa delegation's inspections of four of the host cities ends in Durban today, where the preliminary draw is set to be held on November 25.

The Local Organising Committee is expected to announce the successful bidder for the International Broadcasting Centre next month.

Cape Town has already been voted out of contention by the committee.

Cabinet endorsed the recommendation of the committee that Johannesburg be the location of the centre, but the decision is still to be approved by Fifa's international executive structures.
Looking good, saw the report back on German News today.

Mcanp, hope you enjoy your brief trip to France? I nearly had hart failure watching, and started thinking third upset in 2 days. But there was a gardian angel :cloud9:
Hagar the Lovable (and to some the Horrible) Wink
Hagar Wrote:Looking good, saw the report back on German News today.

Mcanp, hope you enjoy your brief trip to France? I nearly had hart failure watching, and started thinking third upset in 2 days. But there was a gardian angel :cloud9:

When I have recovered I am going to do an article about it, but the trip was good, pity the game did my heart no good.