Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running - The Mental Torture
TheDuck Wrote:Please look at Time-to-Run for tips and advice that can make your running experience better

Thank you for the link, Duck, but perhaps you can pinpoint where I can find help specifically for enduring a run (at whatever distance/time) mentally. Perhaps I overlooked this in the website you listed. Much of the information is about physical preparation/guidance and how to complete a run physically. I don't have a problem with this. I have a problem keeping occupied mentally during this time. For this reason I was interested to hear how others managed to do it.
well I set out to do a run with a preset time and then I break it into 15min segments as with the 2hr run done recently

If it is a shorter 'time on feet' then I can afford to do it in 30min segments

once I have the various routes set by time then I can build up to simply running that distance ... 10 .. 15 or 20k etc

getting there

:jog:
Many thanks for your input, Duck

also getting there
nataliiie Wrote:Thank you for the link, Duck, but perhaps you can pinpoint where I can find help specifically for enduring a run (at whatever distance/time) mentally. Perhaps I overlooked this in the website you listed. Much of the information is about physical preparation/guidance and how to complete a run physically. I don't have a problem with this. I have a problem keeping occupied mentally during this time. For this reason I was interested to hear how others managed to do it.

Hi nataliie .. apologies I had clicked reply before this had been posted up, so my 09 post would not have seen this ..

mental preparation in such a case, running ... needs to be practised to be achieved ... there are obviously various levels of achieving some degree of success

disassociation is the term used for running and probably for a number of sports

try for example stand in your shower and then switch the water to cold ... see how long you can stand under the shower for .. if you can get to 1 minute without moving you are attaining a high level of disassociation .. its a truly easy physical expression of disassociation

now not all persons can simply do that with ease .. I am trying to give you an example of what the simple clearing of one's mind in situations consists of ..

for myself, I like to ponder various problems or situations that need to have a solution to ... when I go on such a long run I begin to ask myself the various questions that need an answer ..

I mull things over continually ... rehashing conversations and their meanings and how to do things better the next time ... also for motivation on the run I let myself know why I am doing this and why I must succeed .. at the start it was weight and the challenge to get fit to make the footie team I would like to play in etc etc ..

the 15 minute segments fly past and there is so many things to think of, as well as my ramblings with the Maker

Big Grin

ps.. not sure if any of this makes sense Wink
It all makes sense, Duck. Thank you for your personal insight.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Running as an exercise TheDuck 4 5,211 27-01-2004, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Cheffie
  Help Running Clinic John01 0 3,835 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: