Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiking the Drakensberg
For all the Hikers out there.

Next year I hope to go to SA on holiday, probably during August / early September. I would very much like to hike in the Drakensberg. I am thinking along the lines of 5 days or so with backpacks and ultralight tents, perhaps the Giants Cup trail. Have any of you guys hiked the Drakensberg and perhaps have some good advice on equipment, routes, weather, experiences etc. This would be much appreciated.

John
1) Buy David Bristow's book Drakensberg Walks, excellent descriptions of the hikes. Buy the detailed contour maps for the area, these repaced the old Slingsbys and are very good.

2) Pack light, max weight should be about 18kg.
Think twice before you pack.
No tinned foods, put the Scotch in a plastic bottle etc etc.

3) Carry the food you think you will need + 50%, it might save your life.

4) You can have 4 seasons in 4 hours on the Berg, pack warm clothing.
We have had from +30 to -!c in the space of a few hours.

5) Do not try and save money on your boots and walk them in beforehand. The Karrimor KSB Gortex range are excellent.

6) Ditto with your backpack, try on several different makes and get the fitting right, a bad pack can make your life hell. Vaude make very good packs

7) Make sure you have a decent sleeping bag -5 would be the minimum rating to go for.

8) Make sure your tent is rated "4 seasons" once again it could save your life.
Max weight should be about 2,8kg.

9) Carry a compass and if you can afford it a GPS, visibility in the Berg can go from bright sunshine to thick mist (3m vis) in an hour or less.

10) If you have never hiked the Berg before I would very strongly suggest that you try and link up with a group or leader who is experienced, The Mountain Club of SA would be a worthwhile starting point.

To hike the Berg is a stunning experience but you must respect the mountain, the Berg can be cruel and many inexperienced hikers have found themselves in serious difficulty and even lost their lives from not appreciating the dynamics of nature. The Berg is not a walk in the park

Make sure you are fit before attempting the Berg.

Check before you set out if the area is safe, there have been growing numbers of attacks on hikers by the Basothos, your R1500 pair of boots are worth more than some of them earn in a year.

DO NOT under any circumstances try and destroy any dagga plantations you may come across, it is the locals livelihood and they will injure or kill you if you take away their income.

Last but not least if you do go enjoy it, it is truly almost a spiritual experience to hike the Berg :luck:

A bit more

Never ever fill your water bottle or drink from the streams until you have passed the last kraal - you don't want to know what is in that water.

Never ever camp in a gulley or close to a stream/river. Flash floods can turn that little gurgling trickle of water into a devestating torrent carrying 5 ton rocks with it.

Don't try and hike in sneakers or trainers, boots must give good ankle support, there are no taxis/bus stops on the Berg.

Local kids will pester you for sweets, just smile and say you have none, if you do give a kid sweets your life will be hell for the next few k's.

Carry a small bottle of at least SPF15 suncream, you can get very burnt up there.

Always use biodegradable soap/shampoo, nature should not be contaminated.

Carry a small garden trowel for going to the loo, dig a hole, do your thing and burn the paper when you have finished, cover and place a rock on top to indicate for others.
NEVER go to the loo within 100m of a watercourse (pollution)

Each member of the party should carry a whistle helps you get back together if you should get split up in the mist.

ALWAYS fill in the Mountain Register before setting out with as much details as possible
Tell family or friends were you are going and what date you will be off the mountain.

Carry a fully charged cellphone in case of emergency, not always in range but every little helps.
Do not use it for checking messages etc, you will need a fully charged battery if you need to call.

Carry 2 stoves, one gas and one multifuel, gas is more convenient but may not work well in cold weather.

Go for high energy foods either freeze dried or similar.
Carry chocolate or energy bars for "pudding"

You don't need to pack a pillow, roll up your jacket.

A small towel is adequate, leave the bathsheet at home.

Place coffee/Cremora/tea in Ziplock bags, easier and lighter than Tupperware.

Carry your passport, you will be in Lesotho when on top and the cops can get quite sticky if you don't have it.

Will add some more when I think of it

Make sure you have a decent Poncho and pack cover, wet you or kit is not fun.

Use a plastic plate and mug, much lighter.
For cutlery get a decent hiking set.

Carry a decent Swiss Army knife.

If the mist comes down stay as group, even in good weather don't split up.

If you see the mist coming in try and get a bearing on a point on your route and use the compass to try and stay on track, always keep the person in front of you in sight.

If you are close to the escarpment in the mist and moving the guy in front should toss a pebble ahead every couple of minutes, if you hear it hit the ground you are still OK.

When climbing a gulley or slight rock face be careful where you place your fingers, Berg Adders love to sun themselves on rocks or ledges and even a bite from a baby could be fatal.

Carry at least one decent First Aid kit and include an ankle and a knee brace, I once twisted my ankle and 20ks back to the car (down a pass) was not a pleasant experience.

Use a decent quality hiking mattress, some of the cheap ones are useless.

At the end of the day it comes down to common sense and respect for the mountain.

Some of this may sound a bit scary but heck we all had to do our first hike and once you are hooked there is no turning back.
My FIL is still hiking the Berg regularly at the age of 70 !

Bit more

The slowest person in the group should set the pace

If you get hit with sudden cold weather keep an eye on each other for signs of Hypothermia, not much fun when some one gets ill.
If the weather gets bad don't try and be a hero, pitch camp and settle in and don't be afraid to cuddle up to get warm if you do not have adequate clothing with, it's survival.

You should not get altitude sickness in the Berg but be aware of the signs as there have been a few cases mostly amongst people from low altitudes.

A decent hat helps for glare and sunburn.

Golden rule of the Berg - if you carry it in, carry it out. Amazing the litter from some idiots
Hi John

Will pm you Surita's email address - she and her husband went to the Drakensberg quite a few times with their mountain bikes.... they might be a good contact for you. Unfortunately she can't get on the Buzz at the moment to see your post.
:thumbs: Mnweni

Have a look at this site, they do have guides available for longer hikes, the Mnweni area is for me the most beautiful in the Berg
zebras Wrote:1) Buy David Bristow's book Drakensberg Walks, excellent descriptions of the hikes. Buy the detailed contour maps for the area, these repaced the old Slingsbys and are very good.

2) Pack light, max weight should be about 18kg.
Think twice before you pack.
No tinned foods, put the Scotch in a plastic bottle etc etc.

3) Carry the food you think you will need + 50%, it might save your life.

4) You can have 4 seasons in 4 hours on the Berg, pack warm clothing.
We have had from +30 to -!c in the space of a few hours.

5) Do not try and save money on your boots and walk them in beforehand. The Karrimor KSB Gortex range are excellent.

6) Ditto with your backpack, try on several different makes and get the fitting right, a bad pack can make your life hell. Vaude make very good packs

7) Make sure you have a decent sleeping bag -5 would be the minimum rating to go for.

8) Make sure your tent is rated "4 seasons" once again it could save your life.
Max weight should be about 2,8kg.

9) Carry a compass and if you can afford it a GPS, visibility in the Berg can go from bright sunshine to thick mist (3m vis) in an hour or less.

10) If you have never hiked the Berg before I would very strongly suggest that you try and link up with a group or leader who is experienced, The Mountain Club of SA would be a worthwhile starting point.

To hike the Berg is a stunning experience but you must respect the mountain, the Berg can be cruel and many inexperienced hikers have found themselves in serious difficulty and even lost their lives from not appreciating the dynamics of nature. The Berg is not a walk in the park

Make sure you are fit before attempting the Berg.

Check before you set out if the area is safe, there have been growing numbers of attacks on hikers by the Basothos, your R1500 pair of boots are worth more than some of them earn in a year.

DO NOT under any circumstances try and destroy any dagga plantations you may come across, it is the locals livelihood and they will injure or kill you if you take away their income.

Last but not least if you do go enjoy it, it is truly almost a spiritual experience to hike the Berg :luck:

Wow, that is some good advice in there Zebras....will print this out and keep it if i ever think of doing some hiking.... :haha:
Icecub Wrote:Wow, that is some good advice in there Zebras....will print this out and keep it if i ever think of doing some hiking.... :haha:

Thanks - have added a bit more Smile
Thanks Zebras, for the interesting and good advice you have given.

I am not a hiking novice, but neither am I a seasoned pro. (By a long shot)
I checked from Drakensberg related websites that it is a good plan to go with a 4 seasons rated tent and a down sleeping bag, a lighter load is usually better so long as you have not scrimped on the vital stuff. One luxury I would want to take is my slr digital and a wide angle lens. (1.5kgks) I have looked at a Hogan tent which is 2.9kgs and looks tough. I would certainly take topographical maps of the area, a decent compass and a gps with the waypoints programmed in. I have two friends who are showing (some interest) in coming along and I plan to try to find some one who is experienced and knows the area to lead us. My father used to be a long time member of the Mountain club and he drummed safety and respect principles into us. (which I did not always appreciate at the time) I think a risk assessment of the route is vital and over planning is better than not enough preparation.

I was interested to read that there is a risk of attack; again this shows how important it is to hook up with someone who has local knowledge.
John01 Wrote:Thanks Zebras, for the interesting and good advice you have given.

I am not a hiking novice, but neither am I a seasoned pro. (By a long shot)
I checked from Drakensberg related websites that it is a good plan to go with a 4 seasons rated tent and a down sleeping bag, a lighter load is usually better so long as you have not scrimped on the vital stuff. One luxury I would want to take is my slr digital and a wide angle lens. (1.5kgks) I have looked at a Hogan tent which is 2.9kgs and looks tough. I would certainly take topographical maps of the area, a decent compass and a gps with the waypoints programmed in. I have two friends who are showing (some interest) in coming along and I plan to try to find some one who is experienced and knows the area to lead us. My father used to be a long time member of the Mountain club and he drummed safety and respect principles into us. (which I did not always appreciate at the time) I think a risk assessment of the route is vital and over planning is better than not enough preparation.

I was interested to read that there is a risk of attack; again this shows how important it is to hook up with someone who has local knowledge.

:thumbs: Enjoy, the Berg is a very special place
Giants Cup Trail :thumbs:

Looks like a fantastic hike and not too difficult

Just dug out my Drakensberg Walks and had a look at Bristows description.
This is a lower Berg hike and there are huts, no tent needed and the route is pretty easy to follow.

Some of what I wrote earlier does not apply to this hike as it is for the escarment/upper Berg.
:mmm: Should have checked first
Zebras, I really appreciate your advice, especially as I may choose a more difficult hike. I am reluctant to do something really tricky unless I can find an experienced person to lead us. I hope it comes off as I am already anticipating the holiday.