Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holiday activities
Finally, summer holidays are almost here ... 6 weeks of keeping the kids entertained - Oh my bank balance!! :taped:
I aim to do one pricey activity per week and then spend the rest of the week doing less expensive ones, but I need some ideas.
What cheap activities do you do with your children?

I've got the beach (if the weather holds ), and we have a National Trust membership, which is a great help. But what else?

Smile
Saw this in a book.....

Draw a vacation

Let the entire family help decide what kind of vacation to take this year.

Obtain a long enough paper, computer paper, brown wrapping paper, or shelf paper for the whole family to draw a wall mural. Choose a place to display it when it is finished; then measure off the amount of paper to fit the space that is available.

After dinner, let each member of the family draw a favorite vacation or trip on his or her section of the mural. Use crayons, marker pens, or paints.

Discuss what everyone would like to do this year.

Hang the finished product in the place that has been chosen for it. Seeing and talking about each person's ideas may help the family decide on a vacation that will be more fun for everyone.

You can make this your own. Let them bring things back from the trip to clue onto the paper, etc. etc. to make a collage of the whole holiday.
Footprints in time

As your children grow, you may often wish you could "hang onto them" just the way they are at the moment. Permanent "footprints" made from year to year serve to fill that yearning and at the same time make an intersting record of each child's growth.

Pack a plastic bag full of plaster of Paris.

At the beach, mix the plater and the required amount of water (fresh water - salt water will not set).

Have each child make a clear, deep footprint in damp sand.

Pour the print full of plaster.

Let the plaster stand until it is semi-soft. Then insert a bent hair pin in the plaster for a hanger.

When the plaster cast is cool and hard, dig away the sand and remove the "footprint".

On the back of each footprint, write the person's name, age, and the place where the footprint was made.

Repeat each year, and keep a collection on a special wall or in each child's room. Smile

:hartlik:
Those are both wonderful ideas, Pronkertjie! Thanks for the ideas - I'll definitelyto that. :thumbs:
I have this wonderful book of ideas, but I don't think it is in print anymore.

"Let's make a memory" Great Ideas for Building Family Traditions and Togetherness, by Gloria Gaither and Shirley Dobson

Maybe I can pass it on to you for a short season and you can copy some things from it.
If you don't mind, I'd love to look at the ideas it has.
And I'll take good care of it, I promise! Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by dudette
If you don't mind, I'd love to look at the ideas it has.
And I'll take good care of it, I promise! Big Grin

I'll put in the post as soon as I have your address Smile

:daisy:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some Easter Activities for you and your children dudette 0 2,933 09-04-2004, 07:54 AM
Last Post: dudette