Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hostas
I want to have a few hostas in my new blank canvas. But the last time I introduced hostas in to a garden the were subject to a Hosta-ile takeover by them damned slugs.

I prefer to garden organically if I can, but none of the old wives tales of beer, or egg shells etc. seem to work. Anyone got a foolproof method for dealing with the slimey critters?

Thanks in advance
DaPom
Get a hedgehog - don't they eat slugs?
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
Quote:Originally posted by PomBok
I want to have a few hostas in my new blank canvas. But the last time I introduced hostas in to a garden the were subject to a Hosta-ile takeover by them damned slugs.

I prefer to garden organically if I can, but none of the old wives tales of beer, or egg shells etc. seem to work. Anyone got a foolproof method for dealing with the slimey critters?

Thanks in advance
DaPom

Put da Hostas in da pots and put da pots on da skinny stalks so dat da slimey critters can't gerrup and chow down on them.

Alternatively, haff so many Hostas that losing a few to slime balls doesn't matter.

Or get fine grit and usse it as a mulch

Or give in and buy slug pellets.
Thanks T (and Pam) for the advice, I like the 'have so many that losing a couple doesn't matter' idea.

I did try nematode slug repelent last year. It was advertised in Gardeners World mag (I think). They said it would kill off the slugs underground and also provide protection via absorption by the plants themselves. Result: Zip, nada, zero. Little monsters seemed to like the stuff, the feeding frenzy that followed putting it down was unlike anything I've ever known from the slimeballs.

TOP TIP: Snails can easily be propelled out of your garden (and in to that of the neighbour who's own verdant efforts are currently making your hang-baskets or mixed beds look plain etc.) with an old tennis racket.
Quote:Originally posted by PomBok

TOP TIP: Snails can easily be propelled out of your garden (and in to that of the neighbour who's own verdant efforts are currently making your hang-baskets or mixed beds look plain etc.) with an old tennis racket.

Big Grin :haha: :haha: