Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
House Buying - You Have To Be Crazy!
Sheesh....

Sorry people, but I have to let off some steam otherwise I might just explode!

We put in an offer on a house at the end of October last year.... since there was no chain, we were supposed to have it all exchanged and completed by mid December.....

Well, mid December came, and nobody could tell us if we would be exchanging and completing as there were some unanswered queries.

Anycase, we exchanged on the 16th December, and all of the sudden the Seller was all sulks because we decided to only complete in January.... our reasoning was that nobody was able to tell us if we would be able to exchange and complete by the 15th December, thus leaving us little or no time to arrange a moving lorry and the solicitors were closing on the 17th December. Basically, we didn't know what would happen, and everybody was closing for the Christmas week.... So shoot me!

We decided to go on holiday and only stress about the move upon our return, which was easier said than done... knowing that there is some big unfinished business carried forward for 2005!

Had the holiday, went back to work yesterday and completed today. Hubby went to get the keys from the Seller, and they trashed the place inside. He didn't replace the glass panes in the back door as per our contract, and WORST of all, he left some of his possessions in our garage... when asked out the stuff, a fruit gambling machine and a tyre, he said "oh my mate will come and get it" When asked how his mate will get access, he quite happily replied that his mate had a key.

EXCUSE me... but it is now my house, so nobody other than me should have the key.....

Am I going insane here??? Is this normal practice?

I am really trying not to stress... but being pregnant and knowing that I have to go and cleam up after some pig family is very stressfull, and not to mention about strangers having keys to my house!!!

I cannot believe that we were so trusting with this guy. He is Turkish, and he came accross very genuine, but OBVIOUSLY not!

Ok.. now I'll get off my Confusedoapbox:

Thanx for listening. :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:
Beans
Don't you just love the Uk system

Sad
Not from th U.K. so not sure about the legalities... But my suggestion is to change your locks ASAP.

Also if he did not abide by the contract (by replacing the panes in the back door) you may be able to take him to court... Or enforce a discount.... If he has done any structural damage by "wrecking" the place I suggest you get legal advice ASAP !!!!

Sorry to hear that the deal went sour on you and I hope that you come right soon Smile
Suggest that you sell the fruit machine and tire on E-Bay to recover the costs of replacing the locks...
I just LOOOOVE the UK system!

Jan.. I will be looking into replacing all the locks, but this is yet ANOTHER expense which you don't budget for..

I now have to lay out extra for a floor polisher for the wooden lounge floor and also for a carpet washer as the once white carpet has been stained since we viewed the property...
Beans
Bean of Love Wrote:I just LOOOOVE the UK system!

Jan.. I will be looking into replacing all the locks, but this is yet ANOTHER expense which you don't budget for..

I now have to lay out extra for a floor polisher for the wooden lounge floor and also for a carpet washer as the once white carpet has been stained since we viewed the property...

Over here seller has to pay for the replacement of locks if there are any keys available not given to the buyer upon purchase....

Also the seller has to ensure that the house is at least in the state when you viewed and purchased it... all 'cleaning costs' may be deducted from the price....

That is how it works over here.... I hope it's the same over there...
Get in touch with your solicitor tell them that items have been left in the garage and that the glass panes were not replaced. Your solicitor should then give the other side 7 days to make good on these items or you will do it and bill the seller
Eish Bean o Love, I'm so sorry to hear of your house troubles! Sad That is just not on! You are perfectly right not to be happy about his friend having a key ... I would consult the solicitor who handled the transfer. I am sure you will get some kind of recompense from them. .

Good luck and try not to stress overmuch Smile How long before your baby is due?
Bean of Love Wrote:When asked how his mate will get access, he quite happily replied that his mate had a key.

We always suggest that when people move into their new home to have the locks changed
Britbok Wrote:Get in touch with your solicitor tell them that items have been left in the garage and that the glass panes were not replaced. Your solicitor should then give the other side 7 days to make good on these items or you will do it and bill the seller

agreed BB

so sorry to hear of this and dampen the new house excitement

let let us know how u get on

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Moving house gwasi 0 2,449 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: