Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hypertension
Quote:Originally posted by sunny
Hi Toktokkie,

This book looks interesting ...... I'll keep an eye open for it :thumbs:

An excellent book that I highly recommend. If you really want one and can't find it in the UK, let me know. I'd be glad to get one to you.
Quote:Originally posted by Toktokkie
An excellent book that I highly recommend. If you really want one and can't find it in the UK, let me know. I'd be glad to get one to you.

Thanx Tok .... will give you a shout if need be :thumbs:

Quote:Originally posted by Icecub
Sunny

I have a book from Dr Mosaraf Ali, "The Integrated Health Bible"...fabulous book...try it...just as good.....Smile

Thanx Cubs ... will keep an eye out for this one too :thumbs:
Quote:Originally posted by Tara
How many of you have High Blood Pressure and do you take any medication for it?
Am now also one of those on antihypertensive medication..... used to be hypotensive in SA .... taking Diovan 40mg daily.
Quote:Originally posted by Joan
Am now also one of those on antihypertensive medication..... used to be hypotensive in SA .... taking Diovan 40mg daily.

Diovan is an angiotensin II receptor blocker isn't it?

Joan, what is the difference in the way they work between this sort of medication and the ACE inhibitor and Beta blocker medication?
Diovan is an angiotensin II receptor blocker isn't it?

Joan, what is the difference in the way they work between this sort of medication and the ACE inhibitor and Beta blocker medication?
You are correct, it is an angiotensin II receptor blocker.
ACE inhibitors are drugs that prevent the synthesis of angiotensin II by blocking the angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) Angiotensin is a chemical substance that causes constriction of bloodvessels and if you prevent it's synthesis, you will prevent the contraction or constriction of the bloodvessels. One of the major side effects of these drugs have is that they often cause a dry unproductive cough that can not be alleviated by any cough suppressant.
Beta blockers block the beta one receptors..... mainly found in the heart and in the larger bloodvessels, also in the pancreas, liver etc.Beta 2 receptors are located in the bronchi. It is stimulated by adrenalin and nor-adrenalin.
These beta blocers decrease cardiac output by decreasing the heart rate. Beta blockers also block the effects of a substance known as renin ( also involved in the chain of events that occur during the synthesis of angiotensin II)
Beta blockers are usually the drugs of first choice and if they cannot be used, other drugs are then prescribed. It may be interesting to know that beta blockers may not be used by asthmatics and are not effective in black people.
Wow Joan, thanks for that.

Now then, if someone is taking 8mg Perindopryl (ACE Inhibitor) and 50mg of Atenolol (Beta blocker) yet the BP is still higher than normal, although not high per se, should another drug be introduced and if so, which one?

Also, if the taker feels sort of fluttery in the heart some of the time, is this normal or should it be referred to the Doctor?

Then what happens if the Doctor doesn't believe what he is being told and says it has nothing to do with the tablets? What to do then?
Wow Joan, thanks for that.

Now then, if someone is taking 8mg Perindopryl (ACE Inhibitor) and 50mg of Atenolol (Beta blocker) yet the BP is still higher than normal, although not high per se, should another drug be introduced and if so, which one?

Also, if the taker feels sort of fluttery in the heart some of the time, is this normal or should it be referred to the Doctor?

Then what happens if the Doctor doesn't believe what he is being told and says it has nothing to do with the tablets? What to do then?
Tara, what is the bloodpressure reading?
If it is less than 140/85 , I would be happy and do not think additional medicine is needed. If there are other risk factors like increased LDL ( bad cholesterol) then that is another matter.
If the bloodpressure is still too high, a thiazide diuretic, like bendrofluazide is usually added.
If you say "fluttery".... do you mean irregular heart beats?
Tara, what is the bloodpressure reading?
If it is less than 140/85 , I would be happy and do not think additional medicine is needed. If there are other risk factors like increased LDL ( bad cholesterol) then that is another matter.
If the bloodpressure is still too high, a thiazide diuretic, like bendrofluazide is usually added.
If you say "fluttery".... do you mean irregular heart beats?

Over a whole day of hourly readings, the average was 133/77 with the highest reading at 156/78 and the lowest reading at 118/72 average heartbeat 67 with the highest at 77 and lowest at 57. Cholesterol levels 5.7.

Bendrofluazide was the first medicine prescribed, but the patient was intolerant to it and lost too much potassium.

Fluttery as in the feeling when your eye twitches and you can't stop it? The heart beat is regular.
Over a whole day of hourly readings, the average was 133/77 with the highest reading at 156/78 and the lowest reading at 118/72 average heartbeat 67 with the highest at 77 and lowest at 57. Cholesterol levels 5.7.

Bendrofluazide was the first medicine prescribed, but the patient was intolerant to it and lost too much potassium.

Fluttery as in the feeling when your eye twitches and you can't stop it? The heart beat is regular.

The BP readings are good, cholesterol not too bad and if the heart beat is regular, I am not sure what the fluttering sensation can be or what causes it.
Has the person ever had en ECG done to detect any abnormality?
The BP readings are good, cholesterol not too bad and if the heart beat is regular, I am not sure what the fluttering sensation can be or what causes it.
Has the person ever had en ECG done to detect any abnormality?

Yes, but just prior to commencing medication, which was nearly a year ago now. There was nothing untoward considering the age of the patient. The doctor said if it was the heart of a 12 year old he would be worried, but she is a whole load older than that.

Sounds like there's no need to worry Joan and I am very, very grateful for your help.