Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Job opportunities for unemployed youth
Over 300 young people are benefitting from job opportunities created as a result of a public-private partnership between the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality and various companies.

Busisiwe Buthelezi, 24, is among the 335 youth placed in private and public institutions by the partnership, which is aimed at helping graduates hone their skills as well as acquire experience in order to be employable.

“I am so excited by the opportunity I have been offered. I am glad to be working in the department of physiotherapy, speech and audio therapy. I enjoy getting up in the morning to make a difference in people’s lives,” said Buthelezi, who has a degree in Biomedicine.

After completing her studies, she became part of the unemployed graduates’ stats, until the City of Ekurhuleni gave her an opportunity to work at the Far East Hospital as part of the city’s job placement programme.

The companies involved include, among others, Transnet, Imperial Logistics, Phoenix Film, TNT, BidairCargo and OR Tambo International Airport.

The metro’s spokesperson, Sam Modiba, said the young people placed in private and public institutions exclude the 600 youths absorbed by various departments within the City of Ekurhuleni.

“The municipality pays a stipend of up to R2 500 to all these graduates. We know that some graduates completed their qualifications under very difficult situations. Some have become the only hope for their families and we understand that it must be demotivating to complete your studies and still be unemployed,” Modiba said on Sunday.

The job placement programme follows the municipality’s job summit in June, where Ekurhuleni received over 10 000 CVs from unemployed youth in order to place them at companies as opportunities arise.

It is envisaged that before the end of the year, a further 3 000 work opportunities will be created as part of the Lungile Mtshali Poverty Alleviation Programme. – SAnews.gov.za

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unemployment, drugs top Youth Month agenda Newsroom 0 2,697 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  New lease on life for Ennerdale youth Newsroom 0 3,305 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Tshwane to create 10 000 jobs for unemployed youth Newsroom 0 3,490 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Youth affirm commitment to Employment Accord Newsroom 0 2,828 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  CWP to create one million work opportunities Newsroom 0 2,606 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Pact to upgrade youth skills in local govt Newsroom 0 2,357 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  EPWP to continue creating job opportunities Newsroom 0 2,945 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Government committed to youth empowerment Newsroom 0 2,716 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Minister to create 6 million work opportunities Newsroom 0 2,664 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  SAPS warn of fake employment opportunities Newsroom 0 2,931 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: