Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest News: I am in charge of SA rugby, says Markgraaff
I am in charge of SA rugby, says Markgraaff
An explosive charge that SA Rugby vice-president André Markgraaff threatened to sack Bok coach Jake White has emerged on the eve of Saturday's Tri-Nations Test between the Springboks and All Black at Newlands.

The allegation comes in a letter from White to his bosses.

He said an "aggressive" Markgraaff had confronted him last Friday, just before the opening Tri-Nations Test against Australia in Pretoria, where he was warned to toe Markgraaff's line.

Markgraaff had told him: "Like it or not, I am in charge of rugby in South Africa."
for full story source IOL

###################

There truly seems to be a pattern of destruction within SA Rugby
By Peter Bills

André Markgraaff, the South African Rugby Union (Saru) deputy-president, quit on Saturday night after a day of drama on and off the field.

Markgraaff, the alleged source of another outbreak of political in-fighting in South African rugby 24 hours before the TriNations Test match at Newlands on Saturday, told Brian van Rooyen, the Saru president, on Saturday night that he was resigning just moments after Van Rooyen had finished speaking at the after-match function following the Springboks' superb 22-16 defeat of New Zealand.

Markgraaff told him by phone: "I cannot carry on. I don't believe that Jake [White, the Bok coach] wants to work with me; he does his own thing. I cannot continue with these public attacks on me week in, week out."

'I cannot continue with these public attacks on me'
Van Rooyen said afterwards: "I listened; I did not argue with him."

It is likely that unfolding events forced Markgraaff's hand. First, there was a private warning from the International Rugby Board (IRB) about the potential loss of the 2011 World Cup if the arguing and fighting continued. Then, the Boks' steely display in toppling the number one side in the world put White in an increasingly strong position and left Markgraaff with nowhere to go.

Van Rooyen said on Saturday night he would have asked the South African Rugby Council to take action against his deputy had he not offered his resignation.

Markgraaff's decision will be a huge relief to those battling to bring the 2011 World Cup to this country. Saturday's Test had been preceded by an extraordinary private briefing by IRB officials who made it clear that unless the political squabbling within Saru ended, they would not consider awarding them the World Cup.

The latest spat came on the eve of Saturday's Test. An alleged verbal attack by Markgraaff on White suggested that he, and not Van Rooyen, was the real power in Saru. Markgraaff allegedly threatened White that he would be fired if he did not accede to Markgraaff's demands.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Player in ICU after rugby brawl mcamp999 2 3,349 26-06-2006, 07:39 AM
Last Post: oe-la-la
  Fantasy Rugby super 14 and 6 nations mcamp999 0 3,151 29-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Last Post: mcamp999
  SA Rugby World Cup Champions (again) FlyingBok 1 3,181 29-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Last Post: Curio
  Latest IRB world rankings: TheDuck 3 4,251 10-02-2005, 05:01 PM
Last Post: FlyingBok
  Internet Radio Coverage of Rugby today TheDuck 0 7,643 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  SA to host rugby world cup? mcamp999 0 2,268 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Why beating Boks at home is rugby's greatest challenge 0 1,124 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: