Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Leggy' Seedlings
Quote:Originally posted by PomBok
Now I know exactly what you mean. :thumbs:

Last night when I reported to the baas that the marigolds, busy lizzies and lavender had all germinated she looked at me sort of odd and said "I don't know how you have the patience" - but the waiting is all part of the enjoyment I think!

I must admit to driving my housemates crazy with my daily report on the progress of my plants. I am really chuffed that all my chillies came up, even the one that was sold with a warning as difficult to germinate.

The only disappointment has been the Okra which has steadfastly refused to sprout.
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
I must admit to driving my housemates crazy with my daily report on the progress of my plants. I am really chuffed that all my chillies came up, even the one that was sold with a warning as difficult to germinate.

The only disappointment has been the Okra which has steadfastly refused to sprout.

More R

I am having the same problem with my hostas. A month gone by and nothing, not even a peak at the outside world from one of them and I planted 50+ seeds. In fairness, Thompson and Morgan's cultural advice did say they were difficult to germinate, so maybe I have messed up.

I have also just sown some New Zealand Flax (Phormium), the packet says they take between one and six months to germinate. This may stretch my enjoyment of the waiting just a bit too far!
More R

I am having the same problem with my hostas. A month gone by and nothing, not even a peak at the outside world from one of them and I planted 50+ seeds. In fairness, Thompson and Morgan's cultural advice did say they were difficult to germinate, so maybe I have messed up.

I have also just sown some New Zealand Flax (Phormium), the packet says they take between one and six months to germinate. This may stretch my enjoyment of the waiting just a bit too far!

Pombok, there are sometimes ways to speed up germination - smoke treatment of seeds can help, as can putting some varieties in the freezer or fridge for a week or two. It is worth checking where these species occur naturally and see if the hot or cold option would be better.

Lisa from Amishland Seeds suggested (after I had sown them) that I pre sprout all my seeds. It does make very good sense to do so. She said to soak the seed (any type) for an hour, then place in damp tissue paper in a plastic bag in a warm place until they sprout, then plant immediately. At least you have some guarantee of how many plants you will get and I will definitely be doing this with the remainder of my tomato and chilli seeds, and will try the okra the same way.
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
Pombok, there are sometimes ways to speed up germination - smoke treatment of seeds can help, as can putting some varieties in the freezer or fridge for a week or two. It is worth checking where these species occur naturally and see if the hot or cold option would be better.

Lisa from Amishland Seeds suggested (after I had sown them) that I pre sprout all my seeds. It does make very good sense to do so. She said to soak the seed (any type) for an hour, then place in damp tissue paper in a plastic bag in a warm place until they sprout, then plant immediately. At least you have some guarantee of how many plants you will get and I will definitely be doing this with the remainder of my tomato and chilli seeds, and will try the okra the same way.

Smoke treatment? does this mean I have to sit in the conservatory (where all my seed trays are) chain smoking? If so the baas is going to do her nut, she's just cleaned all the windows!

The pre-sprouting idea is a really good one, especially as you say, you know how many plants you will end up with. I get it only works for larger sees though?
Smoke treatment? does this mean I have to sit in the conservatory (where all my seed trays are) chain smoking? If so the baas is going to do her nut, she's just cleaned all the windows!

The pre-sprouting idea is a really good one, especially as you say, you know how many plants you will end up with. I get it only works for larger sees though?

I think it would work for any seed large enough to handle. Some seed is just too small to make it practical. Mind you, tomato seed is quite small but you can still handle them. I would say anything smaller than mint would be impossible though.

As to smoke treatment - think of smoking chicken or sundried tomatoes, lower the temperature and you have the idea. Mind you, if you need this as an excuse to chain smoke, go right ahead.
Big Grin

The smoke treatment works for plants from a Mediterannean background and your typical fynbos varieties where fire plays a big part in germination.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Own seedlings jimswin 2 2,791 04-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Bushbaby