Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life is not fair, but God is!

Someone remarked the other day that life is not fair. He told me that although he does his work conscientiously, others are promoted instead of him all the time. What is more, his religion counts against him. Well, the original readers of the First Letter of Peter found themselves in exactly the same position. They were regarded as enemies of society. They were spoilsports who refused to worship the Roman gods. Therefore they were ridiculed, humiliated and dismissed by their employers.

Peter's message to believers was simple: we have to cling to our identity as believers in Christ if we want to live a meaningful life in an unfair world. Remember the following:

1. We are Christ's property. He bought us. His own blood was the price He paid for us (1 Peter 1:19). That is why Christ now determines how we live. His rules of life are ours. All we do, is follow in his footsteps.

2. We are part of the family of God's kingdom (1 Peter 2:10). Listen to what it says: Previously, you were like tramps and no one wanted to have anything to do with you, but now you are God's people. Previously, you had no idea what love and goodness really meant, but you got to know them from God. Eternal life is ours, now already and forever!

3. It will be hard for us sometimes, because we belong to another King Whose values differ from those of the world. Therefore, let us not be surprised if we do not win the competition for the most popular person at work (1 Peter 2:11-12): 11 Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. 12Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.

Life is not fair. You can be sure that you are going to have trouble if you are serious about believing in Christ. However, He has warned you that you are a stranger in this world. Fortunately you know that you are a child of the King and have a permanent address in his new city. Therefore, you can shout with joy: Maranata, the Lord is coming! What is more, you know that God is a fair and just King. In his new world, the roles will be reversed for ever!

Prayer

Lord, I see the coming of a brand-new world.

I dream of a new earth that is free and fair.

Until I get there I will be holding your hand tightly.

My life's road is often steep and dangerous.

Every so often I come up against injustice, lovelessness and hate.

Please hold onto me tightly.

Let me faithfully follow the road You show me.

Please carry every child of yours that suffers today.

Please keep us covered with your blanket of love.

Shelter and protect us.

In the Name of Jesus,

Amen.

God bless

Stephan Joubert
http://www.echurch.co.za