Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meningitis Vaccination
Is it a safe vaccination? Side effects? .... the school nurse recommended I get my 14 yr old daughter done ..... I know its a serious illness so I'm keen to have her done ... just wondered if there is anything I should know before hand?? :confused:
Quote:Originally posted by sunny
Is it a safe vaccination? Side effects? .... the school nurse recommended I get my 14 yr old daughter done ..... I know its a serious illness so I'm keen to have her done ... just wondered if there is anything I should know before hand?? :confused:

Dont know if this will be of any help for you Sunny

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/787570.stm
My son had a severe reaction to the pertussis vaccine and so I was advised to get the Meningitis one done in hospital just in case, he had the vaccine and within 2 hours we were back at home again, with no reaction what so ever.....except perhaps a slight swelling at the site of the vaccine.......I suppose every child reacts differently to vaccines, but he had absolutely no problems with the Meningitis one....
The Love in your heart wasn't put there to stay -
Love isn't love till it's given away......
Quote:Originally posted by sunny

Sunny, when we lived in UK, they were doing the Meningitis vaccinations at the schools, both our daughters had them done (ages then 10 and 13 yrs). Only reaction was a slight swelling where the vaccination was given but otherwise nothing. Be sure also to get a card from them stating that she has had it, they gave these to our daughters and we have kept them on file. A wise decision I think Smile
Thanx all for ur comments .... I've known two people in my life who got meningitis .... one was a doctor and one was my friends three year old son .... they were both left with brain damage .... also nursed a baby with TB meningitis (dunno what the difference is) ... that baby died ... it was diagnosed too late ... so its a scarey illness ... and I am deffinately gonna take my daughter to the doc for the jab .... just won't tell her till we get there as she is terrified of needles Smile
There are many different strains of meningitis, have the inoculations.

James had pneumoccohol meningitis and seriously it is devastating to watch your child being hooked up in ICU and then there are in almost all circumstances serious side effects from the disease - as in James' case deafness and some other problems

Whatever side effects the vaccination has believe me the disease is worse.
Never say never
Quote:Originally posted by Zulu_Foxtrot
There are many different strains of meningitis, have the inoculations.

James had pneumoccohol meningitis and seriously it is devastating to watch your child being hooked up in ICU and then there are in almost all circumstances serious side effects from the disease - as in James' case deafness and some other problems

Whatever side effects the vaccination has believe me the disease is worse.

Thanx Zulu and sorry to hear that about James, must have been awful for him. And I can imagine how hard for you to see him that way, I know what my friends went through with their son. Yes the vaccine sounds like a must. Thanx for your comment Wink