Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mijailovic banned for racially abusing Benni
Wisla Krakow defender Nikola Mijailovic has denied using racist language towards Blackburn's Benni McCarthy.

Striker McCarthy, 28, claimed to have been racially abused by Mijailovic in Thursday's Uefa Cup tie.

"Both of us were swearing but there was no racist abuse at all," Mijailovic, 24, told Serbian newspaper Kurir.

"Investigation will show I'm innocent, everything can be seen on tape," added Mijailovic, who said McCarthy had been goading him from early in the match.

"Almost in the first minute he hit me very badly, it was a really inappropriate move for a football player.

full story

quite sad when you have a system where players can immediately scream racism and whatever they have done to get into this situation counts for nought. Racism is racism however it seems only to be seen as racism these days if the person is of colour or Arab decent

if they are to stamp out racism then comments about the Irish, Welsh, Aussies, Scots etc must also be taken into context

of course this will never happen so we will continue with paternal racism where those who are 'afflicted' need to be protected by big brother

I am against racism, believe me, but I become uncomfortable when a 'racism card' can get pulled out which serves to immediately place the other person, in this case; Mijailovic, in the docks as some terrible despicable human being who needs to be punished with the full might of the authorities.

This very attitude is probably why there has been an upswing of racism in the stands over a period of time.

These are 2 players goading one another and both should be punished or nothing done, plain and simple. Yes, the old expression regarding my cousins.

who knows

:footie:
Serbian defender Nikola Mijailovic was handed a five-match ban from all Uefa matches on Thursday after European football's governing body found him guilty of racist abuse against Blackburn striker Benni McCarthy.

The South African striker squared up to Mijailovic at the end of Blackburn's 2-1 Uefa Cup win at Polish side Wisla Krakow a week ago after being allegedly provoked by the defender.

McCarthy and another player who overheard the abuse had made a statement on the incident which was forwarded to Uefa and the English Football Association.

Blackburn claimed that McCarthy had mentioned the abuse to Swedish referee Stefan Johannesson at half-time during the match, apparently to no avail.

'We appreciate Uefa's speed in dealing with this important issue'
Uefa's Control and Disciplinary Body handed down the ban on Thursday. "Uefa launched the inquiry on the basis of an official complaint submitted by Blackburn, as well as on the basis of an additional report submitted by the match referee," Uefa said in a statement.

"The Uefa disciplinary body, in reaching their decision, repeated their view that racism not only constituted a serious breach of the fair play principle, but also presented a serious threat to sport and its ethical values."

In a brief statement, English Premiership side Blackburn said they were pleased by Uefa's swift response to the incident.

"Firstly, we appreciate Uefa's speed in dealing with this important issue," the Lancashire club said.

"Secondly, we believe that Uefa's decision sends out a clear message that racism will not - and should not - be tolerated in the game."

Mijailovic, 24, has until Monday to appeal against the ruling. - Sapa-AFP
These are 2 players goading one another and both should be punished or nothing done, plain and simple. Yes, the old expression regarding my cousins.

who knows

and there we have it, justice looks to be going in the right direction again. I do not expect Mijailovic to go unpunished, however what of McCarthy

or maybe he simply said:

you ugly and your mother dresses you funny

Big Grin
TheDuck Wrote:These are 2 players goading one another and both should be punished or nothing done, plain and simple. Yes, the old expression regarding my cousins.

who knows

and there we have it, justice looks to be going in the right direction again. I do not expect Mijailovic to go unpunished, however what of McCarthy

or maybe he simply said:

you ugly and your mother dresses you funny

Big Grin
As one who is totally opposed to all of this PC gone wrong, There does appear to be an issue with these Eastern European countries and racism.

According to all reports, McCarthy was not the guilty party here, but I wasn't there so cannot comment.

As you have said before, you can make derogatory comments about the Scots/Irish etc, but there is a difference between calling McCarthy a thick South African, or a black b-----d for example. The former is the sort of thing that goes on all the time, the latter is unnacceptable IMHO
mcamp999 Wrote:As one who is totally opposed to all of this PC gone wrong, There does appear to be an issue with these Eastern European countries and racism.

According to all reports, McCarthy was not the guilty party here, but I wasn't there so cannot comment.

As you have said before, you can make derogatory comments about the Scots/Irish etc, but there is a difference between calling McCarthy a thick South African, or a black b-----d for example. The former is the sort of thing that goes on all the time, the latter is unnacceptable IMHO

do you think if you said to a black Scotsman, that he was a thick Scotsman, would he take offence and say it was a racist remark because he was black?

Big Grin
I repeat there is a difference between calling McCarthy or any other player a thick South African/scotsman/limey aussie etc. etc. etc., or a black b-----d for example. The former is the sort of thing that goes on all the time, the latter is unnacceptable IMHO
I thinks you miss my point Wink

even if the colour of the Scotsman was not mentioned, it could be still deemed racist because he was called a stupid Scotsman and he happens to be black

even you have already surmised that it is probably related to colour

when did the mentioning of a colour become so abominable that a whole race needed to be protected

by this very nature it has made it more racist and my age old nag that paternal racism is the greatest sin of racism and yet the PC brigade are totally oblivious to this

that a certain race needs protecting and that they are so fragile is an absolute disgrace to human development

McCarthy deserves to punished as well, plain and simple, just on what the player stated: Both of us were swearing

one wonders whether that will even come into it, it is one players word against the other but will only one get punished?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Benni wants to move mcamp999 3 3,794 29-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Cali
  Chelsea make massive bid for Benni mcamp999 0 3,701 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: