Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military History - what are you reading
To kick off the military history threads, I wondered what MH you are currently reading or have recently read?

I am currently really enjoying Max Hastings' Overloard (ISBN 0-330-39012-0). It is a very balanced assessment of the D-Day landings and subsequent Battle of Normandy. What I like most is Hastings' pulls no punches in his assessment of the relative strengths and weaknesses of the Allied Armies and Commanders. Hastings also explodes some of the myths surrounding Montgomery's larger-than-life claims and the relative success of factors such as the Mulberry Harbours, PLUTO and the Battle of Cherbourg.

Good read as a Pan Grand Strategy series book at just £7.99
Hi Pombok .................

My recent reading has been ;-

The Day the Devils Dropped In by

Neil Barber

it is the story of 9th Parachute Battalion exploits on the night before D-Day, Merville Battery to teh Chateau St Come.

An excellent book loadsa pic and real accounts.

ISBN 0 85052 924-7

another is for reference, bought from Ebay Big Grin

German Tanks of WW2 in colour

BH

Seeing as that there may well be an interest in things military here, would it be possible to arrange get-togethers at various museums etc, Para Reg, Tank Museum in Bovington, RAF Museum in Hendon, Imperials War museums, Army museum in Chelsea etc ............. maybe a small braai nearby or a pub/museum lunch??

BH
Mornin mate

I like the idea of scheduled visits, with braais or pub lunches added on.

Will be back in touch with you re this. I'm off to order the book you just mentioned (off to Normandy for the 60th Anniversary this year)
Quote:Originally posted by PomBok
Mornin mate

I like the idea of scheduled visits, with braais or pub lunches added on.

Will be back in touch with you re this. I'm off to order the book you just mentioned (off to Normandy for the 60th Anniversary this year)

Good stuff old boy :thumbs:

We went to RAF Hendon Air Museum today - what an excellent place that remains .......... lots of aircraft, a new building as well as the "Claude Graham-White" factory building open for viewing with some of the aircraft they built there - i'll never tire of visiting there, and their shop is good too, along with thei cafe/drinks thingy!

Hope to arrange to see some of you there sometime, well recommended............ :thumbs:

BH CoolRAF Museum Hendon
So, this thread seems to have died a death! Sad

Come on folks, lets have some input here, the great Pombok and myself would be interested (well I would) in arranging days out to these places etc .......... and if there are enough people then we may qualify for discounts etc. They are all family occasions so would be of an interest to everyone.

I'm not specifically talking about Military stuff here either, all museums etc, touristy things, Tower of London, Stonehenge + Avebury Circle Stones (pre-dates Stonehenge too - and you can walk amongst and touch them), Windsor Castle, Battle Abbey nr Hastings where King Harold lost to William of France (last time the froggies beat the English too Big Grin ) to name but a few! Put your ideas forward and we can look into arranging a suitable Sat/Sun or Bank Holiday to arrange these things, all arrangements will be family orientated too. Britain has so many lovely things to see, why not seem the with friends and your countrymen - oh, and Pom and myself too Big Grin :p

BH