Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morus Alba
Does anyone know how well white mulberry trees will grow in this climate?

A neighbour a few doors up (back in SA) had a tree in their garden and I have very fond memories of picking and eating the fruit as a kid. Also, I remember the reward I got from Mom when I took a berries home for her - they are/were her favourite fruit.

I know there are some very old trees growing in Kew Gardens in London - but then again just about everything thrives there even though they would not grow a stone's throw from Kew.

Can anyone comment?
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
Does anyone know how well white mulberry trees will grow in this climate?

A neighbour a few doors up (back in SA) had a tree in their garden and I have very fond memories of picking and eating the fruit as a kid. Also, I remember the reward I got from Mom when I took a berries home for her - they are/were her favourite fruit.

I know there are some very old trees growing in Kew Gardens in London - but then again just about everything thrives there even though they would not grow a stone's throw from Kew.

Can anyone comment?
I imported over 120 bonsai into the UK when I moved there, I lost many to the cold and low light conditions and the survivors tended to be whippy and lacked chlorophyll (sp) so the leaves were always pale. the survival rate of my grove of white mulberry, that were around 25 -30 years old (I was given one while still in std6.. ) along with one or two others, was good, I lost one in the 9 years and that was after a mid winter accident broke around thirty odd pots and trees when the shelving collapsed. Forced me to build a conservatory rather than buy new carpets (wife not happy Big Grin )
Any rate took same trees to the Middle East and they flourished there due to the higher warmth and light intensity. When I gave away (yes gave Sad ) my trees the grove was one of my favourites and was very healthy.
So to cut a longer story short Wink
If you are prepared to pot it initially and move it indoors when it is cold, until it establishes itself and keep it frost free you maybe lucky. I just do not know how it would survive out doors for the protracted winter, keeping in mind outdoors can be around 0-10 C for around 6 months or more. The lack of warmth and light intensity might also keep it from fruiting (which my trees did in SA but never in UK even in the centrally heated conservatory)
Thanks for that. One thing - are they deciduous or evergreen?
looses leaves in winter so deciduous

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/duke_..._alba.html
says that it grows in southern europe - not quite UK!! also something i did not know was the tree originated in China and is a weed in the USA Wink
and you can only import dried leaf stems in Aussie!! Big weed!
go figure hey that such a fantastic tree is considered a weed...shame on them...
*Doer of healing rituals and keeper of brooms.*

*Water flows, Wind blows, Fire glows, Earth grows, Magic shows.*
Quote:Originally posted by Ameniatha
go figure hey that such a fantastic tree is considered a weed...shame on them...

The Australian Wattle tree is a weed in South Africa and the Leylandii Tree is classified as a weed here in the UK.

A weed is just a plant in the wrong place. Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Tara
The Australian Wattle tree is a weed in South Africa and the Leylandii Tree is classified as a weed here in the UK.

A weed is just a plant in the wrong place. Smile
:thumbs:
i did not import my bonsai into aussie, this is after carting them halfway around the world, simply because all my old and favourite ones were clasified weeds here :bigcry: the others that i could bring in were to be quarantined from 6 months to two years with massive expense for weekly inspections. so a fresh start for me. :bigcry:
as for wattle, it was imported and forests grown in the early 1900's for the leather tanning industry, now it over runs natal!!
the leylandii is just horrible anyway, a really antisocial tree in the postage stamp sized UK gardens, having said that i would plant some too if i have my sister- in - law as a neighbour :cheeky:
One man's weed is another man's treasure trove.

The Cape Lilac or Syringa Tree, widely grown in gardens in South Africa, has been declared a weed through much of the northern parts of the country. I remember reading of a very enterprising bloke who discovered that syringa wood looks very much like oak and has a similarly fine grain. So, he started a furniture business with the wood he gets for nothing from municipal land. The seed pods of this tree also produces a beautiful bead when polished.

Similarly, the white mulberry has a multitude of uses - the leaves for sericulture (silk farming) the branches for basket weaving and the fruit for fresh consumption, jams, jellies, conserves, fruit butters and liquers.

Some of the Australian wattle species introduced into SA have also been proven to have economic value in OZ. The seeds of some are now used ground as a seasoning, others produce edible fruit or fruit that is good for pickling and not a few have edible leaves that are good for seasoning dishes.