Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My PC won't start up
Went in to turn it off last night after watching TV only to discover that it was already off. So I switched it back on and as windows was loading it switched off. I switched it back on and as it was going through the BIOS check it died again.

Tried quite a few times to start it up but it kept on switching off at various places whilst busy starting. At one stage it told me that my CPU speed was wrong :confused:

Fiddling around with it today has made me none the wiser but now when I turn it on it dies after a few seconds.

I am down to about 3 options as to what the fault could be:

Power Supply - from what I've been able to measure it seems ok.
Main board
CPU

Anyone got any ideas as to what the problem and solution could be ?
Try hitting the delete key immediately after switch on. This should take you into the Bios set up. Choose, "return to default settings," save, exit and pray.
It may be some power fluctuation corrupted the Bios settings.

If you have two banks of memory chips, it is also worth pulling out one, trying to boot, if that does not work, plug in the one you took out and pull out the other.

Otherwise it sounds like CPU, motherboard or Power supply. (It is hard to tell what the power supply voltages do under load)
John01 Wrote:Try hitting the delete key immediately after switch on. This should take you into the Bios set up. Choose, "return to default settings," save, exit and pray.
It may be some power fluctuation corrupted the Bios settings.

If you have two banks of memory chips, it is also worth pulling out one, trying to boot, if that does not work, plug in the one you took out and pull out the other.

Otherwise it sounds like CPU, motherboard or Power supply. (It is hard to tell what the power supply voltages do under load)

Sadly the comp dies before I get a chance to hit the delete key and enter the BIOS setup. :bigcry:
Unplug all PSU leads to HDD and CD rom drives, as well as the IDE cables, and see if the MB goes through a self test.

If so try replacing one at a time and see where it goes pear shaped.

Is there a graphics card with an on board heatsink and fan that may be getting too hot cos the fan is faulty?

Good luck
[color0blue]Dit was lekker by die see... Die Bodensee ( Lake Constance )[/color]
Thanx for the suggestions.

Sadly I've tried all of that, including booting up without the graphics card and it still dies within 5 seconds of powering up :bigcry:
Jangar, what make and CPU speed is your computer?
It could be your cpu has given up the ghost. Pull out the cpu and see if the computer stays on. (of course the PC won't boot without the CPU, but this routine will indicate if this is where the problem lies) I have had a cpu give up on me on my old pentium 11, 450, the symptoms were the same as yours. I managed to swop the CPU with another from a machine a friend was disposing of and that fixed the problem.
hmmm...thats quite weird...

Not much unlike what happened to me a while back...My pc would die too...and after a while, having switched it off and on again, it went into boot-loop. Would not go into windows, but just kept booting...

Managed to resurrect it by re-installing everything, after formatting c and so on..
*Doer of healing rituals and keeper of brooms.*

*Water flows, Wind blows, Fire glows, Earth grows, Magic shows.*
Sorry to hear you are having problems with your pc Jangar. Hope you can get it sorted out soon. Unfortunately I cannot offer any advice as I'm not too clued up about pc's.
:luck:
Curio Wrote:Sorry to hear you are having problems with your pc Jangar. Hope you can get it sorted out soon. Unfortunately I cannot offer any advice as I'm not too clued up about pc's.
:luck:

Glad it's not just me! :p :p
John01 Wrote:Jangar, what make and CPU speed is your computer?
It could be your cpu has given up the ghost. Pull out the cpu and see if the computer stays on. (of course the PC won't boot without the CPU, but this routine will indicate if this is where the problem lies) I have had a cpu give up on me on my old pentium 11, 450, the symptoms were the same as yours. I managed to swop the CPU with another from a machine a friend was disposing of and that fixed the problem.

:bashpc:

The motherboard is an Asus A7N8X-X NForce2 400 and the CPU is an AMD Athlon Barton XP 2500+/333

:bashpc:

I tried removing the CPU and booting up and it still dies so my guess (and hope) is that it is the power supply so I'll be ordering a new one tonight.