Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NI contribution refund
Hi,

Anyone know anything about the possibility of reclaiming portion of your NI contributions when leaving the UK? The pension debate going on right now got me thinking about something I heard a couple of years back - part of the NI is savings which you woul dnot be using if you leave. Can't find anything on any official site and I'm not sure if there is any right to a refund.

Thanks
lvon

What sort of visa do you have?
m,

AV, with 1 year left.
alvonhumb Wrote:m,

AV, with 1 year left.

You might have aproblem there. Those on a young peoples travel visa, can claim their tax back though. Will try finding out some more
National Insurance is a tax which is taken from pay for the UK's health and social security system. Your payments are known as National Insurance contributions (NICs). Most people working in the UK need to pay this: there are a few exceptions (for example, if you are from an EEA country with a reciprical agreement with the UK and you continue to pay National Insurance in your home country). In the tax year from April 6th 2005 to April 5th 2006, the tax rate paid by workers was 0% for the first £94 per week, 11% on income up to £630 per week, and 1% on any income above £630 per week. The tax is paid each time you are paid (usually weekly or monthly). Unlike income tax, it does not matter how much you have earned in other pay periods, and the tax cannot be reclaimed (unless a mistake has been made).

http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Work/Employment.htm
I am in the process of claiming my "whatever" back and I have been advised by both the tax office and 1st Contact (agancy who claims on you behalf) that NI cannot be claimed back (as I was udner the impression that is what you can claim back) apparently it is only the tax you can get back. As a non EU citizen you can claim all you tax back. My nephew got a nice fat cheque.

Call this number 08000820902 and they will advise you, if you go ahead and use them they ask 15% of whatever they get back from the tax man for you. no refund - ne fee. Or just pop down to your local tax office.

I have not done it yet as they recon you should do it after the tax year i.e 5/4/04 - aaaagggg thats today!!