Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New potting soil??
Well, my pansies died on me, i finally took them out today and chucked them, but i left the soil in the containers and pots.

I want to buy new flowers when i get back from my trip to plant, but do i need to chuck out the soil and replace with new soil or can i keep what i have in the containers??

This was new potting soil i put in when i planted the pansies...

:daisy: :daisy: :daisy:
Sorry can't help you Icecub. I'm afraid I'm not much of a gardener.
Maybe when Joan sees this thread, she might be able to offer some advice.
Cubbie, I'm sorry, but Ididn't follow the story of your pansies ... were they this year's pansies that you planted out but never took root, or last years that finally gave up the ghost?

If this year's pansies never drew nutrients from them, I would think they'd be fine to use again, but I would perhaps add some slow-release fertilisers in, just in case.

The problem with potting soil and pots is that the nutrients are mostly used up or leached in a year, so would be best used as mulch or compost for the garden, and the pots then re-potted.

Otherwise, if you think that the pansies died due to fungus in the soil, then I would say get rid of it, sterilise the pots and then start again with new soil. But that I would think unlikely.

Happy potting Smile