Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newcastle - Northern KZN
Well, I figured I may as well start a NN thread as I know there are plenty of you out there....

I grew up in Newcastle, and left after matric in 1997. My folks are still there, so I do tend to visit every now and again.

What's your story?Big Grin
Oopsie... Just replied on another thread....

Was in Newcastle from 1976 till mid 1983 (std 8) and then moved to Richards Bay.

Went back in the mid 90's and NN had changed so much...

No doubt MCLF and Ameniatha will reply to this thread soon Smile
Quote:Originally posted by MintyLamb
My uncle and cousins stayed in Newcastle. I went there during summer holidays once and was scared because they slept with their windows and doors open. There was no crime back then. My cousin was a DJ at one of the clubs on the main road in town. I went there with him and he said it was a busy night but there were max 20 people there????

Ha ha, nah, Newcastle is not the kind of place you go to for the night-life...Big Grin

Who's your cousin? I'm almost certain I would know him...
....ok, maybe I don't know him. How old (ish) is he?
Hmm, ok, nah, he's a little older than me then...
I grew up there from 1976-1994, then left for DK...(dumbass move) Matriculated in 91 from Newcastle High.

In 97 we moved back to SA to live in Strand WC. for one year after which we came back to DK (dumbass move no. 2) but while we are here we might as well make the best of it..

Newcastles Nightlife was at its best in 93, many cool places, and not very much bloodsports...

We were back on holiday in 96 where we visited Newcastle, and boy had it changed....everything was different, new shops, malls, movietheatres etc....it was really quite cool to be back. But I dont think we would settle there again if we decided to go back...

The Cape province does it for us now...
*Doer of healing rituals and keeper of brooms.*

*Water flows, Wind blows, Fire glows, Earth grows, Magic shows.*
I'm in dodgy old Newcastle at the moment, visiting my folks. So much has changed in this place... but the night-life? Umm... what night-life? Non existent, unless you call a quiet few at the Cannon (previously known as the Keg) a night out...

Gotta say, it's great to be home, although so far this trip has been pretty hectic, with all the visiting and the Dusi and the driving...

...will give an update on NN for those who are interested as soon as I get back to Mud Island and the land of fast internet connections...
Please do. I left in 83 and have only been back for an occasional visit before I left SA in 97...
My sis hasnt been here yet.....??

eish..anyway..pleeze feedback Edmonsta.. Big Grin
*Doer of healing rituals and keeper of brooms.*

*Water flows, Wind blows, Fire glows, Earth grows, Magic shows.*
...Newcastle, what can I say, a lot has changed.

The Game centre is no longer what it used to be, they have now built Game, Clicks, King Pie, Mr Price Home, a surf shop and a few other bits and pieces where Pick and Pay used to be. (well, Pick and Pay is still there)

Game is now a Hypermarket... (Shoprite? Can't remember)

The Keg is still exactly the same as I left it, except it is not called the Keg anymore, it's now the Cannon.

Pint & Pigout is still the same, at Majuba Lodge...

There is a new BMW dealership being built as you drive out of Newcastle on the Arbor Park side... The gym is doing very well there, always seems to be full.

Townhouses, townhouses, townhouses being built all over the place.

Plenty of new trafic lights and stop streets, etc...

Hmm, can't think of much else, but I know I'll think of more...