Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nguni cattle project gives lifeline to farmers
Machadodorp - Mpumalanga Agriculture, Rural Development and Land Administration MEC Violet Siwela has urged emerging livestock farmers to make good use of the Nguni cattle that they receive on loan.

Siwela handed over 30 pregnant Nguni heifers and one bull to the Nhlapho Livestock Project in Machadodorp as part of the department's Masibuyele Esibayeni (back to the kraal) programme.

“I am happy that the cattle have already started to reproduce, as I can see 19 calves. Please take good care of the cattle so that they can continue to multiply. By doing so, you will be able to return the loan,” said Siwela.

The Masibuyele Esibayeni Nguni cattle programme was introduced in 2011 by the department in partnership with the Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) and the University of Limpopo. The aim of the project is to enhance food security, community upliftment and address the shortage of good quality breeding animals in the province.

Siwela said the programme also addresses agrarian reform as part of government's Zero Hunger Strategy.

“When we come back to the farm, we must find more cattle because livestock is not like a car, it does not depreciate annually but multiplies because the bull is here,” she said, adding that the Nhlapo Livestock Project successfully applied for the Nguni programme in 2013.

Project chairman Ara Nhlapo said livestock farming was a childhood dream that came true.

"I have always seen myself as a livestock farmer. When I was a boy, I enjoyed being a herd boy and today I am very thankful that we are part of this programme. We can assure the department that next time when they visit us, there will be no space in the kraal because the cattle would have multiplied,” said Nhlapo.

The department's project manager, Theo Ngemtu, said the programme affords farmers an opportunity to be loaned cattle for three years or five years.

"Those who apply for small stock have three years to return the loan and those who apply for large stock have five years to return the loan," said Ngemtu.

He said for farmers to participate in the programme they should have at least 150ha of land or at most 350ha available to accommodate livestock numbers at the recommended rate.

Ngemtu said the department also provides the farmers with skills and also trains them about the use of natural resources.

“We strongly believe that with the support that they receive from veterinarians and other role players, the farmers will achieve their dream of becoming commercial farmers,” Ngemtu said. – SAnews.gov.za

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  R10 million project to benefit Bredasdorp Newsroom 0 2,662 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Jobs Fund boosts small-scale sugar farmers Newsroom 0 2,881 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  New training centre to empower black farmers Newsroom 0 3,064 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: