Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orchids
I adore these plants. I have 5 of them and would really love to "get into" them. I bought a couple books to start with. Is there anyone else who has experience with them?

My daughter and I went to this restaurant last week for lunch and they had an orchid flower as a garnish. It was beautiful but I could never pick them to serve on a plate of food to be thrown out afterwards. :bigcry:
yes I love them too, had a mother plant of a phalaenopsis from '91, got it in Switzerland, took it to Holland for 3 years, then to UK 2 years, then back to Switzerland for 5 years.. and it made babies continually.. I got at least 150 babies from it which I gave away (kept the last 2 which I gave away 4 months ago when I moved here again)..!!

so who says they're fragile??:p

They just need the right spot and not too much water, spray when the air's dry and repotting every now and then, oh yes and some orchid food once a month or so..
Quote:Originally posted by Jen
yes I love them too, had a mother plant of a phalaenopsis from '91, got it in Switzerland, took it to Holland for 3 years, then to UK 2 years, then back to Switzerland for 5 years.. and it made babies continually.. I got at least 150 babies from it which I gave away (kept the last 2 which I gave away 4 months ago when I moved here again)..!!

They just need the right spot and not too much water, spray when the air's dry and repotting every now and then, oh yes and some orchid food once a month or so..

Jen... why did I think you will post on this thread.

A few of her orchid babies made it my way.... just to die a slow death..... she is pretty good with them!

Smile
I have 2 orchid plants, and the one has currently got no flowers, while th e other does. I really have no clue when it comes to Orchids! I love them though, they are stunning!
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
Quote:Originally posted by Jen

I'm jealous. So what do you do when the flowers die off? Do you cut the stalk down, trim it or what? On some I've tried cutting the stalk down. On another I waited for the stalks to turn yellow before cutting them down and on others I've just left the stalk intact. Waiting to see the outcome.
I cut the stalk but just down to the next 'node' (you know,where there's a little leafy place where a new bud can start)..

it's good that you've tried a few places, you can see which one works..

they're sooooo rewarding..
They are amazingly beautiful plants. Not difficult to keep either provided you meet their few requirements. I am into spider orchids myself, and these are actually a little harder to get from garden centres. There is a place in Yorkshire though that orders them in from time to time.
That's good to know, thanks, because soon I'll be replenishing my orchid stocks! I may get back to you, to find out where how I can contact them..