Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potty training girls
Have a look at this website.....it gives some valuable tips...

http://www.parentingme.com/toiltrng.htm
Quote:Originally posted by Pooky
Thanks Miz but as it states on the first page "do not try toilet training during a stressful period" maybe i should give it a miss as her mother has recently abondoned her and her brother so I suppose that is stressful enough hey
True.....and i found that kids basically potty train themselves when they are ready...with a little encouragement. This also means that the training is pretty much stress free......just carry on giving and showing her love and she will get there.....
You have my sympathies....now boys are so different. Mine could not be bothered with this potty nonsense...we battled for a few days, decided to leave it and next thing we know he is using the toilet.....what a pleasure.
SPAM in a can....Now available in regular, turkey, Lite and HOT
Pooky, I have two daughters, yes potty training is different to boys. I use to leave a potty in the bathroom, they use to play with by putting it on their heads etc. Our eldest use to ask questions as to what it was for and on her own decided to use it. My youngest however decided it was a toy and wanted the toilet instead, so I bought a step so she could get up and kept one of those toilet seats on the toilet permanently, so needless to say she never used the potty. My eldest was 26months and fully trained and my youngest was 28months. How old is your niece? Perhaps you could leave the potty around in the bathroom but don't force her, see what she does with it. How long will you be looking after her, if not long then perhaps just leave it for the aupair.
Is it much different to boys - I am surrogate mom for my neice who has been neglected by her mother and wanted to start the training as soon as possible as my brother is hiring an au pair shortly. I need step by step information please as the last time i did any sort of potty training i was the one on the potty.:wings: Blush

I'm a little potty
Never say never
hi pooky.. my little girl is 2 1/2 and so have recently been through it all. there is a new way of thinking that children may be 'the most' ready at 27 months... thay say any time spent before this age makes no difference.. so she is probably physically more than ready, but could be traumatised by things happening in her little life. i would say, keep the potty in the living room, so she gets used to seeing it around. encourage her to sit on it fully clothed, and when she's ready she will want to take it further. i only trained my little one at 27 months as i had a new baby at 25 months, and although tried to do it just before the baby was born, she resisted and regressed... i think because of the changes she could sense in her life. i'm a firm believer that kids need to feel secure for this major change, so she'll get there.... may take loads of patience, but she will.
always look on the bright side of life......
My little girl is 3 and I thought the following worked well:

1) Day 1: Chuck the potty in the bin & demonstrate to her what happens in the loo. Dont flush it as many little girls are frightened of the sound.
2) Day 2: Put girl in knickers & put nappies away in a cupboard.
Take her to toilet every hour, and incentivise her with her favourite sweet whenever she does something in the loo. Clean up mess elsewhere and dont make a fuss about misshaps, but leave the knickers on for 10 minutes before cleaning her bum. Only put nappies on when she goes to sleep.
3) Day 3: Have a pep-talk about the positives of day 2 every hour when you take her to the loo.
4) Day 4: she should be 'day-time' potty trained by now
Thanks for your help everyone ...... will see what I can achieve out of this.

Good luck let us know how you get on.
Moenie kwaad gaan slaap nie, bly wakker en baklei

Bird of prey

What you are isn't written down in stone

Lover of all things RED especially wine

''aai aai die witborskraai''