Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Premiership attendances down sharply
http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?art...ws__sport/
I used to enjoy football, but it is no longer the game I used to know. There was a huge discussion about this very same thing here in Yorkshire the other day and the cost factor was one of the points raised regarding the drop in attendances. Others believed that the standard of football is not as good as it used to be, whilst many thought the same as me, that football has gone "soft". Another point raised was the standard of refereeing. Recently I was sent three videos of three matches from start to finish and the inconsistancy in the refereeing was terrible to say the least. I have spoken to Clive Thomas recently about this very same factor and he was telling me that he is so appaulled at the standard of refereeing, that he would rather go shopping than watch football.
Always enjoy life - and remember there is always someone worse off than yourself - treat others as you yourself would want to be treated.
Oom Rob Wrote:I used to enjoy football, but it is no longer the game I used to know. There was a huge discussion about this very same thing here in Yorkshire the other day and the cost factor was one of the points raised regarding the drop in attendances. Others believed that the standard of football is not as good as it used to be, whilst many thought the same as me, that football has gone "soft". Another point raised was the standard of refereeing. Recently I was sent three videos of three matches from start to finish and the inconsistancy in the refereeing was terrible to say the least. I have spoken to Clive Thomas recently about this very same factor and he was telling me that he is so appaulled at the standard of refereeing, that he would rather go shopping than watch football.

Rob I agree entirely with your viewpoints, the standard of refereeing is poor. But do you think that this is not being excacerbated by the cameras following their every action now.
I also think that people are objecting to the prices, as the players are now being paid ridiculous sums of money. This was being addressed, but Chelski have messed that up entirely. I would also say the the manner in which Chelsea have gone about putting together their team, with cost being no object, hasn't helped matters at all.
mcamp999 Wrote:Rob I agree entirely with your viewpoints, the standard of refereeing is poor. But do you think that this is not being excacerbated by the cameras following their every action now.
I also think that people are objecting to the prices, as the players are now being paid ridiculous sums of money. This was being addressed, but Chelski have messed that up entirely. I would also say the the manner in which Chelsea have gone about putting together their team, with cost being no object, hasn't helped matters at all.

As a referee one knows whether one has had a good game or not - it does not take cameras to tell one so. In our day there was not as many cameras around, but I remember refereeing A Castle Cup Semi-Final in Zimbabwe and the whole game was shown that night on TV. I knew I had made a few mistakes and when I saw them again on TV I was embarrassed to say the least and I learnt from it. The referees in the UK are being filmed every game. I know that they sit down with Keith Hackett a few days after each game and they go through the video to help pick up on their mistakes etc, but they are still doing the same things week in week out. In a number of cases I believe certain referees think they are bigger than the game itself.

I agree with you 100% regarding Chelsea - and if Aston Villa get taken over by the other Russian, are they going to go the same way?
Always enjoy life - and remember there is always someone worse off than yourself - treat others as you yourself would want to be treated.
Oom Rob Wrote:- and if Aston Villa get taken over by the other Russian, are they going to go the same way?

Greggski sounds good

Big Grin
I think it's totally unfair to slam the referees and blame the state of the nations football on them!!!
This attitude will give credence to those players who feel free to abuse referees when things don't go their way....
Look at rugby, so many rules and subjective decisions, yet the players bow to the whistle and just get on with the game.
Rooney is a prominent antagonist, but there are many alongside him who may not get the same publicity.
I think it is the players who think they are bigger than the game. I'm sure their wages don't help that notion.
And it appalls me that they now get paid for playing for England! What is the world coming too?
Yep, I too used to be an avid fan, but get more fun now watching my lad kicking about in a muddy field on a Sunday morning than I get from footy on the telly.
[QUOTE=Ade]I think it's totally unfair to slam the referees and blame the state of the nations football on them!!!
This attitude will give credence to those players who feel free to abuse referees when things don't go their way....
[QUOTE]

Yep that really irks me too, when they surround the ref, he should get his yellow card out and start taking names. That would soon put a stop to it.

In our local paper, the footy commentator actually expressed disgust at the fact that Rooney got sent off for the sarcastic clapping? What planet does he live on?

I too prefer to watch my lad on Sundays!!