Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pumpkin Patch..
I am slo planning to havee a small vegetable patch in the corner of my garden, there is loads of sun during the day...

What vegetables/fruits is best to plant now?
Moenie kwaad gaan slaap nie, bly wakker en baklei

Bird of prey

What you are isn't written down in stone

Lover of all things RED especially wine

''aai aai die witborskraai''
Quote:Originally posted by birdie
I am slo planning to havee a small vegetable patch in the corner of my garden, there is loads of sun during the day...

What vegetables/fruits is best to plant now?

The rule of thumb if you have limited space for growing veg is to grow the things you like that are not commonly available in the shops.

A small salad patch with lettuce, endive, rocket, corn salad, etc is easy to maintain. It is always rewarding to grow tomatoes and possibly a few courgettes (if you have the space).
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
The rule of thumb if you have limited space for growing veg is to grow the things you like that are not commonly available in the shops.

A small salad patch with lettuce, endive, rocket, corn salad, etc is easy to maintain. It is always rewarding to grow tomatoes and possibly a few courgettes (if you have the space).

I have about 1.5m by 3m space.

What times of year do i plant them? Any good books on how to grow good veg/fruit?

Bird of prey

I have about 1.5m by 3m space.

What times of year do i plant them? Any good books on how to grow good veg/fruit?

With the exception of root crops (parsnips, carrots, onions, etc) which you could have started earlier, most crops can be started from now indoors and outdoors from Mid-May. Beans - both runner and French - are good to grow and very showy as well.

Given the limits of your space, I would recommend that you follow the squarefoot gardening system, as it will maximise the use you get out of the space you have. Mel Bartholomew has written two books on the subject which I am sure you can get through Amazon. Otherwise I can photocopy the relevant pages and post these to you.
That is a very kind offer but i would like to buy a few books anyway. We have a brilliant bookshop and I am sure they'll have something on veggies.

How about fruits?

Bird of prey

Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby

mmm cut worm likes the carrots
birds like the tomato's
caterpillers like lettuce
and the kids don't like anythingBig Grin
:haha:

No children yet....but I do hate worms....Sick

Bird of prey

Quote:Originally posted by whirlpool
mmm cut worm likes the carrots
birds like the tomato's
caterpillers like lettuce
and the kids don't like anythingBig Grin

Plant a ring of garlic outside the carrots - no cutworms will come near.

Tomatoes can be protected by mesh or fine agricultural fleece.

Never had a problem with the lettuce provided they get a twice weekly spray of pyrethrum.

Kids - who'd have 'em!

Only fruits I think you would have much luck with on a small plot would be strawberries - alpines and the regular type, wonderberries, and strawberry spinach.

If you have walls I would recommend raspberries - particularly the golden fruiting variety as these confuse the birds - loganberries, pacific strain blackberries (HUGE fruits) and maybe husk cherries - these can be lifted bush and all at the end of the season and the fruit will continue to ripen indoors.
Thank you so much, I am very excited about starting my garden... I am even considering having less flowers and plants and more veggies and fruit!!!

I will definately keep you updated.

Their is a lot of weeds etc in the bit i want to use. Can I treat the ground before I plant the veggies and what should I use to kill all those weeds? Just regular weed killer? Anything I can put in the ground before hand to make it more nutritous for my veggies and fruit?

Bird of prey

Thank you so much, I am very excited about starting my garden... I am even considering having less flowers and plants and more veggies and fruit!!!

I will definately keep you updated.

Their is a lot of weeds etc in the bit i want to use. Can I treat the ground before I plant the veggies and what should I use to kill all those weeds? Just regular weed killer? Anything I can put in the ground before hand to make it more nutritous for my veggies and fruit?

Best way to kill the weeds is to turn the soil. Best to avoid weedkillers if you are growing veg. As to fertilizing - this also depends on what you are growing - leafy plants will require a higher nitrogen feed, fruiting plants will require more phosphorus. Either way as much compost as you can lay your hands on will do the ground the world of good. Your garden centre can advise you on the particular requirements for your area - re acid/alkaline soils, etc.